We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

Hi, we are visiting New England for 10 days in late May from Australia. We plan to hire a car for a week during this time to visit New Hampshire and Vermont before heading down to Cape Cod. We noticed that the Memorial Day Holiday weekend falls during this time and have been reading mixed reports regarding traffic and other hassles in Cape Cod over public holidays.

Should we change our plans to visit Cape Cod earlier so that we spend Memorial Day in Boston? Are there any must-see events that will help us make a decision?

Also would appreciate thoughts on the weather this time of the year.

Cheers.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

Hi, if you plan your drive to avoid the traffic on Friday afternoon & Monday afternoon, you will be fine visiting Cape Cod on Memorial Day. Though it is a popular weekend to visit it is not over-run with people. What other hassles are you concerned about? No guarantees on the weather, but usally by late May the weather is temperate.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

If you drive on Saturday or Sunday and return on Tuesday you'll be fine. You just don't want to drive TO the cape on Friday afternoon or return on Monday afternoon.

So ... with that in mind, just do what fits your schedule best.

HAPPY PLANNING!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

Given that itinerary the cape should be first or last . Traffic is manageable as indicated.

What do I think of the weather? I like it but not as much as August.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

The water will be chilly to swim on Cape Cod on Memorial Day weekend. I usually wait until the end of June to start swimming in the ocean. The temperature of the ocean also affects the air temp. It can be pleasant in the 70's but you may need a light jacket if you are going on a whale watch or will be on the beach early or late in the day. As others have posted, as long as you aren't traveling to the Cape to Friday and leaving on Monday of that weekend, you'll be fine.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

Although Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer here, good beach weather can't be guaranteed that early in the season.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,714 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

As long as you avoid the peak driving times, I think Memorial Day weekend is a great choice for visiting the Cape. It's the unofficial start of the tourist season, so everything is open and lively (as long as the weather is good). Prior to memorial day will be quieter and some businesses and activities may still be closed.

Weather is variable. Rain is always a possibility. On the cape, it will probably be too cool to lie on the beach in a bathing suit but may be warm enough for short sleeves and shorts when not directly on the water. Evenings will probably be chilly enough for a sweat shirt. A wind resistant light jacket is also a good idea.

In VT and NH, weather may be warm to cool. Be prepared with insect repellent. Though temps may be slightly cool, the landscape and nature is gorgeous that time of year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

Avoid driving to the cape from about 3 pm thurs until Tuesday. There are also roadworks on the bridge so it's even more difficult. If you want to go for a da trip take a ferry from BOS. New Hampshire should be quieter then, and if the weather is good it's warmer there too

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

Avoid driving to the cape from about 3 pm thurs until Tuesday. There are also roadworks on the bridge so it's even more difficult. If you want to go for a da trip take a ferry from BOS. New Hampshire should be quieter then, and if the weather is good it's warmer there too

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

The bridge work was completed until after the summer season yesterday.

…army.mil/recreati/ccc/news/bridgealerts.htm

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Memorial Day 2012 - Boston or Cape Cod?

I went to the Cape this past Thursday (the 17th) and returned yesterday (the 20th). The weather was amazing!! I've been going to the Cape on the weekend before Memorial Day weekend for about 20 years now and I don't remember the weather EVER being this nice. Sunny, warm but not too warm, and best of all minimal WIND!!

My kids (13 & 15) went swimming TWICE (bay side, N.Truro) but they are heartier than me -- lol! And they sort of use it as a way to make money "do you dare me to go swimming? Bet ya $2 I will" and Mom and Dad play along ... we ended up paying $3 to get in up to their necks and $3 to STAY in more than 10 minutes!) That helped them "earn" money for Yard Sale Weekend.

We had beach fires on both Friday and Saturday ... some years we don't have any because it's way to windy.

We left N.Truro at around 9:30 yesterday morning and on the ride were pleasanty surprised to hear that ALL lanes on the bridge were opened, (that was not the case when a friend drove over it on Saturday afternoon.) We sailed right through, only slowing to about 35mph as we approached the bridge.

All in all, a wonderful time. I was dreading traffic getting off Cape and without any warning, they wrapped up construction and opened all lanes the night before I left. How cool is that?!?!? Two thumbs up to the Army Corps of Engineers!!!!