We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the T for short visit Cambridge/Boston

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Using the T for short visit Cambridge/Boston

My son and I are arriving at Logan on July 4 for a short 2-day visit. We are staying at the Fairfield Inn Cambridge which I am told is across from the Lechmere T station. We plan on spending the afternoon of the 4th in Boston for sightseeing and then visiting MIT campus and the Cambridge area on the 5th. It looks like we will be able to use the T rather easily to get from the airport to our hotel, then to the downtown areas, and also from there back up to MIT. Does this sound reasonable? Or should we plan on using Uber or renting a car? I'm assuming as in most major cities parking/driving ourselves will be expensive and frustrating so hoping the T is as straightforward as it appears. Thanks!

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
675 Reviews
from USD 94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
585 Reviews
from USD 55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,102 Reviews
from USD 44.05*
6 replies to this topic
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
809 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Using the T for short visit Cambridge/Boston

Yes, using the T is a good way to go. Walking works well too. And if you need an Uber, that option is available too. No need to rent a car and drive youtself,based on your itinerary.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,437 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Using the T for short visit Cambridge/Boston

Absolutely do NOT rent a car! It is an expensive hindrance, especially on July 4th when there will be road closures.

The T is the best way to get around. It does stop running shortly after midnight, so if you are out late, you may need a taxi or uber, but other than that you will be fine.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
1 review
3. Re: Using the T for short visit Cambridge/Boston

I wouldn't say it's across from the Lechmere T station but close enough at about 1/3rd of a mile.

Yes, T and walking would be the way to get around.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
4. Re: Using the T for short visit Cambridge/Boston

Thank you so much for these responses, definitely a relief and we're looking forward to it!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
133 reviews
5. Re: Using the T for short visit Cambridge/Boston

Your hotel is in walking distance to MIT if you ilke to walk, otherwise a quick uber ride. The Fairfield is less than a third mile to Lechmere. There is a Dunkin' Donuts across the road from you for your morning brew. You can easily do all or parts of the Freedom Trail on the 4th, also watch the fireworks from the Cambridge side of the Charles River down near MIT.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
6. Re: Using the T for short visit Cambridge/Boston

That's great to know, I assumed we would be able to see fireworks somewhere so I'm glad to hear we will be nearby - thanks!

Reply to: Using the T for short visit Cambridge/Boston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted