We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip itinerary for family of 5

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip itinerary for family of 5

Me, my husband and our 3 boys (11, 8 and 4) will be visiting Boston next week from Wednesday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. We are staying in the Beacon Hill area and were hoping not to rent a car. I am struggling to figure out our itinerary. We are homeschoolers, so we love history. We are interested in doing: Freedom Trail, Bunker Hill, Quincy Market, USS Constitution, Boston Tea Party ships, Boston Public Garden. We are also interested in visiting Plimoth Plantation.

Thanks for any advice.

16 replies to this topic
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
788 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip itinerary for family of 5

Salem has some decidedly ticky tacky commercial attractions, but also some real historical educational things to see. The National Park site, the historic house museums operated by Historic New England and the Peabody Essex Museum are all legitimately educational and unique attractions. If you are not up for psychic readings and crystal shops and Frankenstein Castle you can bypass those.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip itinerary for family of 5

Okay, for your four-year old, I would skip all the fancy art galleries -- let's try this:

Freedom trail with a guide. Boston by Foot, Freedom Trail Foundation both have good tours. There is a Boston for Little Feet that would be more suited for your youngest, but may bore the older kids. Visit the Artillery Museum on the top floor of Faneuil Hall. You could add the Aquarium to this day too, along with Quincy Market for fun. This would be a big day.

Go to Harvard via Subway, your kids will love it. Walk around Harvard Square, the College campus and visit the Museum of Natural History. Have lunch at Mr. Bartley's for amazing burgers (big enough for kids to split them). You have some extra time this day to just tour around the city, perhaps add the USS Constitution this day. Note: The Constitution and Bunker Hill are separated from the rest of the Freedom Trail by a bit of a distance, so you may want to not visit them the same day you do the Trail. I would also skip Bunker Hill. It's a monument in a neighborhood and the kids may find it a bit disappointing.

For that day on the road, I would rent a car for the day and go to Plimouth Plantation. While Salem has a lot of great history, I think PP will leave a lasting impression on your boys. It's quite authentic and gives a very good idea of how one lived in the early colonial times.

Find time to walk the Black Heritage Trail too. Boston has an interesting history dating to the American Revolution. Side note -- Frederick Douglass gave a speech in Faneuil Hall (that's on the second level on your way up to the artillery museum).

Happy Travels

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip itinerary for family of 5

Fenway Park has a great tour if you would like to see the stadium. Its a great tour and worthwhile especially if they are on the road.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,751 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip itinerary for family of 5

You've gotten a lot of good advice. If you decide to get the car one place to look is on Hotwire and another might be Priceline.

If you can rent 'in the neighborhoods' then you may get a better rate than at Logan and you will not have the issue with the transponder rental and toll charge since you will not go through a toll if you only travel from Boston into Plymouth and back.

Have a great trip.

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip itinerary for family of 5

Thanks so much everyone! You’ve been really helpful.

Boston...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Trip itinerary for family of 5

I recently returned to Plimoth Plantation and was really impressed by the entire experience. You may want to read some information with your children in advance, in particular around the difference between the people in the village who are acting and pretend to English colonists and the Native people in the Wampanoag homesite in traditional clothing who speak from a modern perspective and are not role players.

While you are in Plymouth (town), you can also visit the Plymouth Rock. The Mayflower II is not there right now.

If you do the Boston Tea Party ships, you could combine it with a visit to the Children's Museum across the water, as well as the Fire Museum a coupe of blocks away. The Children's Museum is only $1 p/p on Friday evenings and there are a lot of new great family-friendly eateries in the area (Shake Shack, Flour, etc.)

Reply to: Trip itinerary for family of 5
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted