We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Hotels

Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Boston Hotels

Looking for a hotel that is near the Freedom Trail and centrally located. I'm a bit confused after reading reviews of the Freedom Trail. People have mentioned having to backtrack. Where is the best place to start the trail? Waiting for my AAA maps but wanted to get started. We will be in Boston 3 nights before heading to Maine. Also, planning on returning the rental car the evening before we fly out at 6:00 am? So looking for a good option that night, as well. Sorry to ramble! Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,652 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Hotels

Hotels right on the Freedom Trail include the Nine Zero, Omni Parker House, Ames, and the Millennium Bostonian. All of these are a mile or less from the Boston Common and of the Freedom Trail, so "back-tracking" is not an issue. It runs 2.5 miles to Charlestown. Lots of companies do Freedom Trail Guided Tours, including mine. Most do the Downtown FT from the Common to Faneuil Hall and run a separate tour through the North End.

Edited: 01 March 2018, 09:21
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,950 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Hotels

The Freedom Trial is not a circle, so no matter where you start, you may need to do a bit of backtracking when you are done. Lots of people start the Freedom trail at Boston Common and end at Bunker Hill monument OR The USS Constitution in Charlestown. (Once you cross the bridge to Charlestown, the trail splits into a little loop so you can do the Constitution before the Bunker Hill Monument or vice-versa.

Here is a map. https:/…202013.pdf

Boston
Level Contributor
7,246 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Hotels

I believe the Freedom Trail officially starts at the Visitor Center at the Common. It is not in chronological order so you don't have to do it in a straight line. If you wanted to to you could even start at the Charlestown end. Or, you might wan to do the Charlestown end on a different day than the rest.

The hotels Alan mentions are all good, but don't get hung up on trying to stay very close to the Trail. Boston is very compact and easy to get around by foot and subway. No matter where you stay in the downtown neighborhoods including Back Bay it won't be hard to get to the Freedom Trail.

The hotels right at the airport are the Airport Hilton and Hyatt,Harborside, but there are others that are near the airport with shutltes that are probably cheaper if that is a concern. This includes a Hampton Inn, a Marriott Courtyard and an Embassy Suites.

Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Hotels

Thank you all for the information! When I get my maps I'm going to pin down our plans. Since being on the FT, hotel wise, isn't an issue, do you all have a favorite neighborhood to stay? We like good food and small music venues, in addition to the sight seeing.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,652 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Hotels

Read the Top Questions on the right with a non-phone device.

Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Hotels

There are no questions on the top right of my computer. There are volumes of information about Boston areas and hotels. I was asking you what areas you prefer or would recommend for family and friends to stay. ;)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,652 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Hotels

You need to look with a non-phone device, like a laptop or desktop.

Edited: 02 March 2018, 13:27
Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Hotels

Nope. Nothing there on laptop. But thanks anyway.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37,819 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Hotels

Omni Parker House is basically on the Freedom Trail.

Reply to: Boston Hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted