We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

Level Contributor
37 posts
16 reviews
Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

Hi all

We have a trip planned for 14th September 2018. Arriving from the UK at 15:10pm into Boston. We have a hotel booked in Hyannis for that night staying for 11 nights to explore cape cod. We will then be coming back to Boston and have a hotel booked for 3 nights before flying back to the UK.

We want to have a hire car whilst we are in cape cod so we can get about but not for Boston.

I’m concerned about driving from Boston to Hyannis on a Friday - possibly a very busy traffic time?

Do you think it would be better to get to Hyannis and back on public transport and just hire a car once in Hyannis? Is that an easy option?

Or should we just hire the car to pick up when we arrive from the airport and take it back to the airport before our 3 nights in Boston and not worry about the traffic getting out of Boston??

Your thoughts and opinions would be a big help to me

Many thanks

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
671 Reviews
from USD 94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
581 Reviews
from USD 55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,100 Reviews
from USD 44.05*
27 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,402 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

Traffic on a Friday is always heavy, but it shouldn't be as bad in mid-Sept as in July.

You can get from the airport to Hyannis via Plymouth and Brockton bus or Peter Pan bus. If the pickup times at the airport don't suit you, you can also get a bus from South Station. You would get there by taking the free silver line bus and then walking a short distance to the bus terminal. In all honesty, given that it is Friday, I would just wait for the next bus at the aiport.

https://www.p-b.com/full-schedule/

https://peterpanbus.com/

You may have heard about a train from Boston to Hyannis. It exists, but it only runs on weekends, once a day I think, maybe twice ... and it may not even be running when you are here. Originally it ran from Memorial Day weekend (late May) to Labor Day weekend (early Sept). I vaguely remember they added a few more weekends last year ... but it just doesn't work for you ....

Happy Planning.

Level Contributor
37 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

Hi

Thank you for your reply, that is really helpful. I will try and look into the bus times as a back up option rather than driving but if traffic is not that busy mid September I might still just go with driving.

Any idea of how long the journey might take driving from The airport to near Main Street Hyannis if we do set off probably about 4:30 / 5:00pm on a Friday mid September?

We are really looking forward to the holiday!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
367 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

Lorraine, I hope you are not staying in Hyannis for 11 nights. If so you should reconsider Hyannis is like any town anywhere. Most people move away from Hyannis. I would look at Chatham, Wellfleet or Orleans for a true taste of the Cape.

Enjoy the Cape.

Level Contributor
37 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

Hi, yes we are staying in Hyannis for that length of time but only as a base. We will do trips each day to other parts of the cape. We are staying near Main Street so that we have easy access to bars and restaurants on an evening.

I know it may have been better to move around and stay in more scenic places but really wanted a base rather than packing and unpacking every couple of days. We will get out and about so that we can see other parts of the cape.

I do appreciate that Hyannis may not have been the best choice after reading a lot of comments on the forum but I think we can still make it work for us as long as we plan lots of trips around the cape.

I’m still hoping to really enjoy our trip even if we are based in Hyannis!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
133 reviews
5. Re: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

I would just pick up your rental car at Logan and drive to Hyannis. You need the car, it will be cheaper to rent a car at Logan, and the bus will sit in the same traffic anyway. Yes there will be rush hour traffic , a lot of people work off cape and will be driving back to the Cape, and on a Friday in September there will be some weekenders especially if the weather forecast is good. Sit back, turn on the radio, and relax, you're on vacation.

Level Contributor
37 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

Thanks, yes you are probably right. Having the car from the airport is best. We will be brave and hope the traffic is not too chaotic, not really sure what to expect but my husband is a confident driver and although he has not driven in USA before he has driven in lots of other countries

Thanks for the help

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
242 posts
90 reviews
7. Re: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

Lorraine,

I am certain you can enjoy your trip being based in Hyannis. A location near Main Street cannot be beat for walking access to many restaurants, pubs and bars.

More "typically" Cape Cod places such as Sandwich, Falmouth, Brewster, Orleans, Wellfleet and the entire Outer Cape including Provincetown can be easily reached within an hour's drive or less.

Should you opt to arrive into Hyannis by bus and rent a car once there, Enterprise will pick you up free of charge at your domicile.

Peter Pan and Plymouth & Brockton are similarly priced and offer about the same comfort level. Not sure about Peter Pan, but P&B requires that you have a ticket before boarding. If you start from Boston South Station you could buy it there. If you board at Logan you have to buy your ticket online.

Enjoy your vacation.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,865 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

Another reason to get the car at Logan is that the P&B bus is not completely reliable, in my experience, with regard to meeting their schedule. With a car you are completely in control of your travel. Don't wait. If you know when you'll want the car then go ahead and reserve it now IF you can pay at the counter upon your arrival.

I'll second everything that Mimi has said. Your decision about where to stay in Hyannis is a good one.

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

You will have more rental car options (companies/vehicles etc) near Boston Logan airport than in Hyannis. I personally would choose to rent in Boston, drive to Hyannis & the Cape and return the car when you get back to Boston.

As far as public transportation from Boston - Peter Pan Bus runs a pretty regular schedule and will drop you off at the Hyannis Transport Center. www.capecodtransit.org

The Cape is spectacular in September! Enjoy your trip

Level Contributor
37 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?

Hi

Thank you everyone for all your replies, it really helps. We will definitely get the car when we arrive and we are so looking forward to exploring all or as much as possible of the cape and then 3 nights in Boston

Very excited and will be doing much research between now and September to plan our trip.

Thank you

Reply to: Boston to Hyannis and back, advice please?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted