We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

Smithville, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

My husband has a work seminar in Boston in June and since I've never been to Boston I'm tagging along. The seminar is in Waltham and work is picking the hotel tab so we have to stay there for the first 3 nights of our stay. We'll have evenings and 2 full days together but I'm looking for things to do on my own while he's at the seminar. We won't have a car. I'm in my 50s, love good food, shopping, sightseeing (no museums though). I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

After our 3 night stay in Waltham we are headed to Rockport to a Bed and Breakfast for 2 nights and then back to Boston to stay at The Godfrey. Looking for advice on travel to/from Rockport...rent a car, take the train, etc.

Edited: 13 February 2018, 01:47
Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Waltham
Waltham
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
The Godfrey Hotel Boston
The Godfrey Hotel Boston
4,208 Reviews
Boston, MA
16 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

Agree with Route 128's post above - parking in Salem has never been an issue for us, we always park in the Church St Lot or the Museum Place Garage.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

Salem -- Right now, the Peabody Essex Museum (PEM) is having a Georgia O'Keeffe exhibit. Not sure for how long.

Gloucester - Be sure to take a walk down Rocky Neck. You will be very charmed. Scenic, lots of art galleries, water, boats.

If you have a car for Rockport/Gloucester, some other things that may be worth your while: at the top of Cape Ann, visit Halibut Point. It is a park with an amazing view, nice paths, and even an old abandoned quarry. Also, if you were looking to visit a huge, Atlantic sandy beach, you might try Crane Beach in Ipswich. But on weekends in nice weather, either get there a bit early or a bit late, since the parking lots can fill up.

While you are on your own, you would perhaps enjoy spending a half day in Harvard Square. It's historic, it has great shops and restaurants, and you can poke around Harvard's Yard and also the beautiful Brattle Street.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Peabody Essex Museum
Peabody Essex Museum
1,827 Reviews
Salem, MA
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Crane Beach
Crane Beach
493 Reviews
Ipswich, MA
Harvard Square
Harvard Square
1,219 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,166 posts
1,003 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

Hi Kimberly,

If you like Mexican food, “Amuleto” is a great restaurant to go to in Waltham. After all fabulous Mexican food I had enjoyed in Mexico City, I asked Boston TA experts about authentic Mexican places in the area and they advised “Amuleto”. They were so right! Thanks to them, I have finally found real Mexican food in our neck of the woods.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

Have a great trip!

Nora

Mentioned in this post
Amuleto
Amuleto
90 Reviews
Waltham, MA
Waltham
Waltham
Massachusetts
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
320 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

I thought the historical Sleeper-McCann "Beauport" house near Gloucester was fabulous. It was the home of "America's 1st interior designer":

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
322 Reviews
Gloucester, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Smithville, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

Thank you May Z we will definitely add Woodman's to our list.

Smithville, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

Maxie Lou thank you so much. Sounds great.

Reply to: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted