We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

Smithville, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

My husband has a work seminar in Boston in June and since I've never been to Boston I'm tagging along. The seminar is in Waltham and work is picking the hotel tab so we have to stay there for the first 3 nights of our stay. We'll have evenings and 2 full days together but I'm looking for things to do on my own while he's at the seminar. We won't have a car. I'm in my 50s, love good food, shopping, sightseeing (no museums though). I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

After our 3 night stay in Waltham we are headed to Rockport to a Bed and Breakfast for 2 nights and then back to Boston to stay at The Godfrey. Looking for advice on travel to/from Rockport...rent a car, take the train, etc.

Edited: 13 February 2018, 01:47
16 replies to this topic
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

Well, if you like shopping, you will probably want to take a walk on Newbury St, Charles St., Boylston St., as those are the main shopping areas in the city. Getting to Boston from Waltham without a car is inconvenient, but doable. First question would be if your hotel has a shuttle to the T. You should ask them. Otherwise, you will probably need an uber to get to the T, or if you don't mind paying, just uber into Boston directly.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

There are some really good restaurants in Waltham on Moody Street. Make no mistake, it ain't Boston or Cambridge, but for dinner you definitely won't need to go back into Boston to satisfy your love of good food.

Boston is tiny. Just get there and you won't miss "shopping, sightseeing". Maybe do some research to target specifics if they pop out to you.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,233 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

I would rent a car for Rockport.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

Although there is a commuter train to Rockport from Boston, a rental car makes more sense.

Georgia
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

There is the commuter rail into Boston from the Brandeis College campus in Waltham. There are also buses.

There is a bit of a downtown in Waltham and good restaurants. West Newton is close.

Not sure where your hotel is but I'll guess it's one of the nice business oriented hotels near Totten Pond Rd and the highway. Those would be a few miles from downtown and from the rail station at Brandeis. So either Uber or a courtesy van from the hotel.

You will probably want a car rental to get around Rockport and near by attractions on Cape Ann. You wouldn't want a car rental in Boston.

You may want a car rental while at the hotel in Waltham to free you up during the day and for your husband and you in the evening.

If you have a car, then Concord and Lexington are a short ride up the highway. Also the Lowell Nat'l Historical Site.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

You should rent a car while your husband is working, you will feel very isolated at any hotel in Waltham. Public transportation is very bad out in the Rte 128 area where you will likely be. You can drive to Cambridge to the Alewife T station and park there and take the Red Line into downtown Boston.

Smithville, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

Thanks Beantown man. Our hotel in Waltham is Embassy Suites and they do offer a shuttle. I think it'll take me 4 or 5 miles so hopefully the T is within that distance. If not I'll just use Uber.

Hank thank you for the tip on eating in Waltham. I've already started looking up restaurants.

Smithville, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

We decided to rent a car when we check out of Waltham and head north. We can stop at Salem on the way to Rockport if we can find parking I heard it can be a bear sometimes. Otherwise we can take the train back to Salem from Rockport. We want to explore Gloucester too. We'll turn it in as soon as we get back to Boston so we don't need one there.

Thank you for all of your advice guys.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

In June you shouldn't have trouble finding parking in Salem (October is the difficult month). The parking map at the following link may be helpful:

https:/…parkmap.jpg

When you leave Salem, take the scenic route to Rockport: Take Route 1A north over the Beverly-Salem bridge; in Beverly take Route127 north.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?

My son-in-law raves about the food at Woodman's Essex so if you are visiting Gloucester you could stop here for some seafood.

http://www.woodmans.com

Have a great trip.

Reply to: What to do/see while husband is attending 2 day seminar?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted