We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in San Francisco in one day

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in San Francisco in one day

We're off the cruise ship for one day. So much we want to see....so little time. Most tour buses only concentrate on 2 or 3 areas and don't let you get out and look around for too long. Is the city bus "stop and hop" a better way to go?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,188 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in San Francisco in one day

Yeah probably the hop on hop off bus will give you more freedom to look around on your own.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in San Francisco in one day

The Hop On Hop Offs tours are not city buses -- there are a variety of tour companies offering HOHOs. We do hear complaints here that wait times can be long at some stops.

Depending on what you want to see you may be able to accomplish a lot of it on foot or via Muni (our public bus transit).

Where do you want to go? What do you want to see?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,389 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in San Francisco in one day

For one day if you want to see more than 2-3 things you should do a tour. Given your schedule it may have to be a shorter one -- don't know. If you get into SF early check Best Bay area tours or Dylan's tours for a 5 hour tour. I would go with that given the point Sal brought up about long waits in some stops for HOHO

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in San Francisco in one day

The city has many really cool areas to visit and no matter what you do you're not going to give the city the fair share she deserves,

I'm sure the cruise line provides a list of possible tours that are sanctioned by the cruise line. I generally do not go for these but at least look at them and see what their itineraries encompass. See what interests you and just plan on taking the Hop on / Hop off using your research to plan the day accordingly.

Other options include a Segway tour in which the tour leader has a built in microphone in his helmet for narration and the participants have speakers within their helmets. Looks interesting.

Dr. Z

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,389 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in San Francisco in one day

Dr Z. the Segway tours cover just one area in 2 or 3 hours including training and may not be right if one is here just for a day. More then one segway tour causes segwatitis .. feet hurt --:-)

They are fun, no doubt. there are some good ones in GG park and FW and advanced tours that go down the Crooked part of Lombard street -- great idea for someone who is in town for a few days.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 00:54
San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
503 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in San Francisco in one day

It may be too late but so what. Knowing where the cruise ships land (it helps to take the ferry on occasion) this is what I would suggest for an afternoon walk in San Francisco. It is all walking and probably demands a map.

Find the Filbert St. steps walk up them to Coit Tower, take your time it is a bit of a climb from below. Enjoy the views and then go back to Filbert and walk down to upper Grant walk down it and maybe refresh yourself at one of the local bars or perhaps an espresso at Trieste. Find Columbus and get some cookies from Stella then find Stockton St. and head for Union Sq. If you want get some dim sum in Chinatown it may be time. Drop down to Grant to get to Union Sq., you do not want to walk through the Stockton Tunnel unless you enjoy noise. Or go uphill to Powell and catch the Cable Car. You might want to see old St. Mary's at California and Grant. Wander around Union Sq. shop if that is something your are interested in. Walk downhill and find Kearny St. walk that toward California and down California to Montgomery. Go north on Montgomery to Washington St. drop down a block to Hotaling St. walk it. You may wander some more in a part of San Francisco that escaped the fire or maybe back to Chinatown for a dinner. Or maybe down to the ferrry terminal for a different meal.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in San Francisco in one day

I would try to book a tour. Dylan's Tours seems to be the current favorite on the SF forum

As much as I like walking around the city, with only one day you'll miss all kinds of things if you limit yourself to walking. And as mentioned, with the HOHOs you'll waste valuable time waiting.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in San Francisco in one day

We would like to see Sausalito, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Park and, if time, Muir Woods.

The last time we were there was 30 years ago and we love SF!! The cruise excursions are pretty lame and we want to be able to walk around and spend as much time as we want. I appreciate all of you being so helpful.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in San Francisco in one day

I think Dylan's fits your bill.

http://dylanstours.com/

10. Re: What to do in San Francisco in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 15:20