We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

Hello all! I was was on earlier in the year with questions on our planned trip Oct 12th-19th 2013. We had booked hotels early thinking we may have missed some of the busy times. However, I just realized that an Anesthesiologist convention was taking place 12th - 16th in the city with an expected turnout of 16500 in attendance. I worried that it may be overly crowded for my wife's and my taste (I can handle crowds but sounds like this might be more than I'd like).

It would be hard to switch weeks now....As mentioned, I have the hotels booked 12-17th in the city(close to Union Square) and 18th/19th north of the city. Since I haven't book my flights yet, would it be recommended to cancel hotels and postpone our trip? Just don't want to have a trip where there is huge times waiting and/or everyone all over each other. FYI....I was in SF in Feb 2007 and the crowds weren't that bad at all.

Thanks much for your suggestions!!!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,418 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

The docs are normally serving laughing gas to each other or injecting other Some do escape to sightsee and the area around Moscone will be crowded but other than that you should be ok. Don't worry come and have a good time

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,245 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

The doctors are not coming to San Francisco to visit the tourist spots you will be at. They will be holed up in their meetings.

You won't find them all in one place after the meetings, such as in restaurants, unless it is a restaurant connected with the convention and part of the program.

We have been going to the city several times a year since about 1995 and, except for finding a hotel, which I do way ahead of time, we have never noticed crowds on the streets when there is a large convention in town. (Of course, we stay away from the convention hotels, where you WILL find them, filling up the lobby of the Hilton Union Square, for example, and networking and making "connections".)

I certainly would not switch, since you have a hotel room. You would be hard pressed to find a reasonably priced hotel for any of the rest of this year at this point because the calendar is full of conventions and the World Cup.

Do relax and enjoy the city.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

San Francisco is a city -- an urban environment. Meaning it always has a certain crowd factor. SF has about 33,000 hotel rooms and quite a high occupancy rate of those rooms. In fact, you were very lucky to book early because those rooms are probably going at premium price now due to this large convention.

Look at it this way ... if 10,000-12,000 rooms are occupied by conventioneers (I'll assume some of those docs are local) that's a lot of people NOT out and around at visitor attractions during the day. It may be logical to assume that some of these attractions may be less well attended because of the large convention.

The only thing I would recommend is dinner reservations. Docs eat well.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

Thank you so much belomiser and puter for the info!! That puts me at ease. I didn't know if my reasoning was correct when I thought the docs coming to the convention were going to be in meetings during the touristy times and would only have crowds at night at restaurants.....sounds like the first part of the above would be correct. Staying at Cornell de France til 17th then go up to Sonoma county the last 2 days. When in town, may not get into the city much.....if so, we'll take the mass transit. Can't wait!! Just need to book flights and get car rental for our time in Sonoma. The fun part will be booking tours and planning!!!!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

Thanks RamblinSal!!! I never thought of it that way...where rooms taken up by docs and not as much for tourists. I eat well just like the docs :). I plan on having 2 or 3 nice sit down dinners reserved before we arrive

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

Have a great trip!

For dinner reservations: www.opentable.com is an excellent online resource for free reservations.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,747 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

Versed cocktails and Fentanyl Fritters, not to mention propofol appetizers, will abound!

As the others mentioned, not to worry....most of them will be hanging around the vicinity of Moscone trying to find a barstool.

Wait until the party atmosphere of the California Dental Association hits SF next month (Aug 15-17).....that's when the good denizens of SF need to worry....

Dr. Z

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

Ohhhhh, we're looking forward to your presence in our fair city, Dr. Z. :)

(Not to mention that I am on call for Federal Jury Duty in Oakland that week and the next .. I'll be ready for a drink, or 5 or 6!)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,418 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

OP writes ". When in town, may not get into the city much.....if so"

What do you mean by that ?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is October 12 - 19th 2013 extremely busy time

Should have clarified on 'city'....had meant wasn't going to venture too much down in area with tall buildings/mods one center. Planning on focusing on neighborhoods (Haight/Asbury, Chinatown, Castro etc.) and other sites we usually don't get to see (GGB, Coit Tower, Alacatraz etc.). Of course we'll have to do FW as my wife drools especially over that sort of stuff :). Coming from Wisconsin, I've seen enough big buildings (Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis etc.). Also there's the Haas house....want to see that given that's my last name.

Going to book red eye flight back so that when we drive rental car from Sonoma to the airport, we can get another view of the city and GGB at night on the way.