We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Humble, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

Hey all,

Planning on making a quick trip to the Presidio on Friday and I was wondering:

For those that been to the Presidio, What is the best vantage point for pictures? I'm palling on using the shuttle busses they provide there, I heard Crissy Field was nice, also up close at the golden gate crossing point area (where those tours start at)

Thank you all in advance!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

Chrissy Field is nice and you can walk all the way to Fort Point. Also there are great views from the area in frot of the Walt Disney museum

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

I think Crissy Field has the best unobstructed view. Also from Lincoln Blvd. southwest of the bridge.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

If you can walk as far as Fort Point (or go to the GG Bridge by bus and then walk), you can get some dramatic views from below the bridge. I walked from there to the Legion of Honor museum (where I got another bus) and got some nice photos.

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

If you wouldn't mind expanding on this-is the walk from the bridge to Fort Point very steep? Is there an actual trail? Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

Yes there is a trail and plenty of people who walk between the bridge visitor center and fort point. It is a climb from Crissy field to the bridge but not that strenuous

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

I actually like the view from Battery East, but I don't know if the Presidi-Go bus goes there. Here's a photo from that vantage point: http://images.travelpod.com/tripwow/photos2/ta-03de-ef50-294b/golden-gate-bridge-at-battery-east-road-san-francisco-united-states+1152_13258097650-tpfil02aw-23050.jpg

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

I took a walkway but some people shortcut from the bridge plaza to Fort Point. Gong uphill would be a strain for some, maybe me, too, but I didn't do that, as I stayed on level ground until the area around the Legion of Honor and then caught a bus back to downtown SF. I spent several minutes at Fort Point but you could walk around for much longer. I think they may have tours, or talks.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 07:08
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

Sutter -- I see what you are saying but just as an FYI to the OP, the Legion of Honor is closer to the North West end of San Francisco or the area in the maps near Landsend or the Sutro Baths and much further away. But if you are planning to walk from GG bridge to Forth Point or the other way, it is a much shorter distance and yes it is uphill or downhill

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

<<as I stayed on level ground until the area around the Legion of Honor >>

Sutter, I'm a little confused about this comment. From Fort Point to the Legion of Honor I'm not aware that it's a level walk. You have to get up to the bridge deck level and then from there to the Legion is a downhill to Baker Beach and then back up hill (through Sea Cliff and Lincoln Park) to the Legion of Honor.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Vantage Point of the Golden Gate Bridge @ Presidio?

Oops. I was thinking of the Palace of Fine Arts, not the Legion of Honor. And I did purposefully take a long stroll, along the bay, to get there from Fort Point. It would, in fact, be a much shorter walk to go back to the GG Bridge plaza and get a bus from there. What I did involved a longer distance, but no uphill.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 01:12