We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,903 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

Just curious. Are there usually taxis at the South SF BART station when trains arrive, or do you have to call one? How about the South SF Caltrain?

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

1. You do realize that South San Francisco is a completely separate entity from San Francisco, some 10-12 miles south, depending on how you make your measurements?

2. BART trains arrive at the South San Francisco BART Station every 15-20 minutes depending on time of day. Caltrain trains run roughly every hour, and more frequently during the morning and afternoon commutes. This means that taxis can't and don't time their schedules to either type of train arrival, but more on the time of day; typically you'll find a couple of cabs hanging around the suburban BART stations but you should carry the phone numbers of a couple of cab companies just in case they caught a fare or have to respond to a call elsewhere. Note that since San Francisco and South San Francisco are separate entities the phone numbers of San Francisco cab companies won't do you any good as they can't provide pickup from a South San Francisco location.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,903 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

1. Yep, I'm aware of that! I'm staying down there because I have an extremely early flight and wanted a hotel with an airport shuttle.

2. Here in the NYC area, cab companies typically have taxis hanging out waiting for each Metro-North train; there are also often cab companies based at the train stations. So it's actually not a weird question.

3. Can you recommend some SSF cab companies? Thanks.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

1. OK -- I'm confused. If you're staying at a hotel with an airport shuttle what do you need a cab for? Take BART to the airport and get the shuttle to the hotel. OTOH if you're trying to use this as a base to see SF, that's not such a good idea. Airport hotels are a good place to stay when you have a very early departure and not much else.

2. This isn't NYC. Even in the city limits of San Francisco, cabs are no where near as plentiful as NYC. Once out of the city, those number decrease substantially.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,903 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

I have to go from the airport to the hotel in SSF, then to the city, then back from the city, then back to the airport.

Airport to hotel and hotel to airport are covered by the shuttle. As for the other two trips, I was thinking a taxi to the SSF station might be quicker than going back around via the airport. Apparently that is too difficult, which is a pity.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

You could take the shuttle to the airport where there is a BART station. Otherwise call (650) 616-9999 to arrange to have a taxi meet you when the train arrives

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

I work out in SSF, and yes, there are taxis that wait at the BART station.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

I occasionally use the South SF Caltrain station, and there are never cabs there.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,903 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

Thanks, Sean and Cintagreen! I'll rely on BART rather than Caltrain to get back to the hotel then, and I'll take down that number. That's really helpful.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

Looks like others beat me to it... It's easy to find cabs at BART stations. Not so much Caltrain stations. Luckily for you, BART is much more frequent, and it goes closer to most destinations than Caltrain.

I would not worry too much about phone numbers for cab companies. Just take whatever is first in line at BART, and have your hotel call one for you when you want to leave.

It's probably faster to take taxis to/from BART, as the hotel shuttles go out of the way (south) to SFO (the City is north). Also, since there is a surcharge to use the SFO BART station, a cab won't set you back too much money--certainly enough to pay for your saved time.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,903 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis at SSF Bart or Caltrain?

My hotel is the Embassy Suites in SSF, by the way. It's walking distance from the Caltrain station, so I might use Caltrain to the city (and time myself right) and BART back from (for those easily available cabs.) Sounds totally doable!