We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking time from Lombard Hotel to Fisherman's wharf?

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Walking time from Lombard Hotel to Fisherman's wharf?

How long will it take to walk from the Buena Vista Motor Inn to Fisherman's Wharf? Is it downhill? (My wife and I are both around 50 and active.)

Can we make that walk in 30 minutes or so? Would it be better to pick up a city bus or walk to a cable car stop?

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking time from Lombard Hotel to Fisherman's wharf?

Fisherman's Wharf is an area of the City rather than a distinct location, so it's a bit difficult to give you a distance, routing, or comments about terrain without knowing your destination. Using the bulkhead of Pier 45, corner of the Embarcadero and Taylor as your destination, it's about a mile and a quarter from your motel, and something you should be able to easily do in 30 minutes. There's a lot of possible routing; personally if walking I'd do something along the lines of:

- Gough (pronounced "Goff") St north to Bay

- Bay St east to Van Ness,

- Van Ness North to Aquatic Park (just north of Beach)

- East through Aquatic Park to Jefferson (@ Hyde),

- East on Jefferson to Taylor for Pier 45, or continuing onwards through Fisherman's Wharf (after about another two blocks Jefferson will merge and become The Embarcadero).

Following this routing you'll hit some relatively minor hills on the northbound legs, but nothing along the waterfront.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 09:06
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking time from Lombard Hotel to Fisherman's wharf?

PS - I should clarify that the hill you hit will be a downhill, particularly on the stretch of Van Ness from Bay to Aquatic Park. Be very concerned if you ever have to go uphill to the Bay, something ain't right.....

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking time from Lombard Hotel to Fisherman's wharf?

You can easily walk it from Buena Vista Motor Inn in about 30 minutes or less depending on how quickly you walk. There is a bit of an uphill climb to Van Ness, but nothing too strenuous. Caffiend's directions are a good option, but you could also cross Van Ness at North Point and hit Ghirardelli Square on the way.

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking time from Lombard Hotel to Fisherman's wharf?

Sorry about not being specific. We need to get to 2800 Leavenworth Street to meet a tour. It looks like it is in the Anchorage Square area. I can tell by mapquest that it is about a mile, but I can't tell the topography or how good sidewalks are for pedestrian use.

Would it be feasible to walk down Lombard to the "crooked section" and then walk down Leavenworth to the tour pick up? I would imagine that we would spend a little time taking pictures on Lombard, so our time would increase. If we could make it in 45 min to an hour, we should easily make our tour time.

I imagine we will take a cable car back up the hill after the tour.

Thanks for your help. TA is such a wonderful resource for travelers.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 09:27
Nashville
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking time from Lombard Hotel to Fisherman's wharf?

I just thought to look on google street view and the route I wondered about appears to be uphill from the Buena Vista to the crooked portion.

Also, it looks like "In and Out Burger" is near the tour start. Would it be a good place for a fast meal before the tour start? We aren't looking for a "fancy meal". We plan to splurge a couple of times on meals in Carmel.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking time from Lombard Hotel to Fisherman's wharf?

The sidewalks are wide in SF, so that won't be a problem. You do NOT want to go up to the "crooked" part of Lombard, as that's a REALLY steep climb.

Walk up to Van Ness, turn left and continue walking down to Beach St., cross there and continue walking east on Beach to Leavenworth.

In-N-Out = Yummy!!

Edited: 20 February 2012, 09:40
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking time from Lombard Hotel to Fisherman's wharf?

Rather than using Google Street View, using Google maps zoom out a bit until you can switch on the "terrain" view, which uses sort of a relief underlay. Alternately, if you can read topographic maps, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition sells one which can be previewed here www.sfbike.org/download/SF_Bike_Map_2010.pdf .

Either way you'll see that you're hiking over Russian Hill, which is a pretty good cardio workout. Along with Nob Hill, Russian Hill is one of the major reasons that cable cars came into being in San Francisco.

In-N-Out Burger is one of these regional places that sort of take on a life of their own (think Chick-fil-A, Sonic, or Waffle House). You should try one at least once (if nothing else so you can say you did) but keep in mind it's a fast food burger -- a very good fast food burger, but still a fast food burger.

8. Re: Walking time from Lombard Hotel to Fisherman's wharf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2013, 19:20