We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

This is probably re-hash for regulars, but may be of some help to newbies.

Arrived by Bart last Thurs. Dec. 22nd. Left my car at nephew's house in Fremont. PLEASE, newbies, don't drive to S.F. unless you absolutely have to. There is no better public transportation anywhere.

For $9, purchased a senior Bart pass good for $27 worth of rides (it pays to be old). Also, rode all over the city on Muni busses for $.75. Regular humans have to pay $2.00.

Stayed 2 nights at Le Meridian in the financial district. 4-star hotel obtained by bidding thru Priceline for $85 per night, total $205 for 2 nights w/taxes & fees. A great deal.

Thurs. A.M. Split a corned beef on rye with my SO at one of the many Lee's Delis located around. Decent place for breakfast or lunch. Quick and handy.

Got on the n-Judah Muni line at Market St. and headed to Golden Gate Park for the Science Museum which we had missed on other trips. It was outstanding, but our timing wasn't. Schools were out for X-mas week so it was really hectic and noisy. We got thru it.

By the way, this was probably my 30th trip to S.F. and I still have a lot to see. What's with these people who want to know if 2 days is too long to spend here? I digress.

Had sand dabs at Sotto Mare in North Beach. Excellent. Gigi was there at the door. I didn't tell him, but his salad is sub-par. Shredded ice-berg lettuce with your choice of Thousand Island dressing or nothing. I'm a salad man so that doesn't cut it. Everything else there is terrific, so we'll ignore the salad.

Fri. 12/23

Had breakfast at Roxanne Cafe (Powell & Bush). Better than the fabled Sears. Had Salmon Benedict. Can't get that in most places.

One of my nephews showed up so we all take the Bart to 16th & Mission. Saw the great murals up there. Went to La Taquerilla for lunch (highly touted on TR) Closed for remodelling. Oh, well. Back to Union Square. Had a liquid lunch at the Gold Dust, Lefty O'Doul's, and the Elk's Lodge on Post. That may have been a mistake, I paid later.

Saw that the owners of the Gold Dust had purchased Lefty's. So the $3.50 bargain cocktails at the Gold Dust are $7.50 at Lefty's.

Be advised.

Now, my niece gets off work so the 4 of us meet at Sardini's in North Beach for dinner. We get there at 5:00 when they open. By 5:30 the place was packed. This is one of my favorite restaurants in town, a great locals place, Italian style but with an extensive menu, something for everyone. By then I am about 90-proof, but I do remember the terrific bleu cheese salad, the I -forget-what-kind soup, and an excellent rack of lamb. My niece didn't know whether to call a cab or the coroner, but we made it back to the hotel, barely....

Sat. 12/24

Took a cab to the Buena Vista for breakfast. Crab is in season, so took advantage of one of the many crab specials. I know it's touristy, but that Buena Vista is a great spot. Called my brother in Yakima from there and he wanted to get on a plane immediately to join us. Walked off the breakfast down Fisherman's wharf and took the F-Line back to the hotel.

My Fremont nephew shows up so we decided to take my SO to the Castro which she had never seen and knew nothing about. Took the F-Line again to the last stop which is Castro & Market?

We all go to the closest bar for Irish coffees, now that was interesting. Then toured the neighborhood & saw the famous Castro theatre.

Back to the hotel to check out, then off to Fremont via Bart.

Had a fun 3 days, thanks for the help everyone. Hope this little report can be of help to someone.

R.P.

Southern California

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

Whatr a good short report.

I agree , you can do better than Sears these days____living on their reputation.

Gold Dust___Lefty's and the Elk Lodge for a liquid lunch___what a combo.

I'm surprised you made it to Sardini's.

Sounds like you really enjoyed your visit.

Thanks for the great report.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

".....By then I am about 90-proof....."

My vote for the best line in a trip report in months, if not longer!

Nice trip report. Thanks.

PS - You could have headed down Mission Street a block or two for food as good if not better than La Taqueria. Place has been taken over by gabacho hipsters.....

Level Contributor
35,264 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

Sounds fun! We were in San Francisco last week, it's such a great city. :).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

I like the, "My niece didn't know whether to call a cab or the coroner" line.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

Nice TR and I totally agree about the people who wonder if two days in SF is too much silly people.

We spent a week our first trip and we are looking forward to our second trip in may still lots of new stuff to see.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

Thanks for your short TR. I wish I could keep them so short. ;-)

I'd ask if you took pictures, but it sounds like you were lucky you were standing at some points. ;-)

For some reason I have not even been tempted to try Sears even though so many people say they've been in their TRs. I was tempted to go into the Gold Dust a few times, though.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,053 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

Nice mini trip report, you packed a lot in a short time. We never miss the Buena Vista for a couple Irish Coffee's, but the fresh crab for breakfast sounds like a winner!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

Loved your trip report. The BV for breakfast is fun.

Ventura...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

Pratt that was a great hysterical report!!!! Glad you had a good trip....miss you!!!! Your a wild man!!!!

Oxnard, California
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Short Trip Report Dec. 22-24th

you make me want to jump on amtrack neighbor!!!! sounds like you had a great time, great info see yah back in southern cal, meet at Quincy's for a drink and more in depth info of Frisco!!!! Manny D