We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
316 reviews
Save Topic
Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

Not being THAT familiar with the Union Square area we'll be staying the Handelry Hotel during the big release of the last Harry Potter. I'm trying to locate the nearest/best place to catch a midnight showing. Could somebody give me a recommendation please?

According to Fandango Map the AMC Lowes Metreon 16 seems to be the nearest, but maybe somebody has a better suggestion?

thanks in advance!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

The Metreon and the San Francisco Center Century Theaters are closest with the mall theater just edging out the Metreon as being closer. 845 Market St. - top of the mall.

If you want to treat yourself - pay a little more and go the extra mile (via cab if you have to) - and go to the Kabuki Theater in Japantown. It's part of the Sundance Cinemas and you can reserve your seat online (tickets are on sale now for Harry Potter). That way you don't have to spend time waiting in line to rush in and grab good seats.

There is a bar and bistro food available at the theater as well.

http://www.sundancecinemas.com/kabuki.html

It's always my first choice for movies in San Francisco. I think because the price is a bit higher you have fewer people talking during the film, or talking back to the screen.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

The movie theatres in the San Francisco Shopping Center is probably the closest theatre to Union Square, but I don't know if they are showing that movie.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

My daughter is going to a midnight showing at the Metreon.

The Kabuki is a very nice theater but I don't believe they have a midnight show.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
669 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

Yes, Century is the closest, but Kabuki is the best as they sell reserved seats. Dosa restaurant is across the street if you want a nice meal.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

I checked, Kabuki is showing a midnight screening - and it's the 3D version.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

response to #5 above, it is for all ages in Auditorium #1 at Sundance, nice huge theatre www.sundancecinemas.com/kabuki_showtimes.html

Edited: 09 July 2011, 05:02
San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

The Kabuki might work out well for a visitor because the reserved seating wouldn't force you to wait in line.

My daughter on the other hand likes the idea of queuing up for 4-6 hours with her fellow nerds waiting for a 2 hour movie that she could see w/out a wait the following day. Oh well, there are a lot worse things that a 19 year old could be doing at midnight.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

Its only a short bus ride away but I saw Cars 2 on its release day at the AMC on Van Ness. The #38 from Union Square just about took you to the front door.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

According to my daughter, the midnight shows at the AMC 1000 on Van Ness are sold out

Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Closest Cinema to Union Square for Harry Potter

Hi I was also looking for a cinema near union square area! Plan to catch a show next Friday! How early can I reserve tickets? I would love to go Kabuki Cinema as I have not visited Japantown. Can someone recommend me a nice sushi restaurant? Not too pricey! Thank you!