We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th July San Fransisco - boat trip?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
4th July San Fransisco - boat trip?

Arriving in San Fran on the 3rd and wondering what we should do with our children (7/8/10) on the 4th. Looking at the Blue & Gold boat trip around the bay to see the fireworks. would anyone recommend or suggest we do something different? I've never been in the USA on the 4th before so not sure what to expect...

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
4 replies to this topic
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th July San Fransisco - boat trip?

On July 4 in SF, the city tends to be pretty quiet except for Fisherman's Wharf, which will be packed with people waiting to see the fireworks.

It looks like the fireworks cruise is pretty expensive. If you can afford it, it would be a great way to see the fireworks. Otherwise, you can watch from Fisherman's Wharf. We did that as a family a couple times and didn't really enjoy it because it was so cold and crowded.

There's an Oakland A's baseball game in Oakland that afternoon. Baseball on July 4 is a grand American tradition, too. It will be over in time to get to the fireworks show at Fisherman's Wharf. There's also a game in Oakland on the 3rd at 6 PM, and there will be fireworks after the game.

Edited: 19 May 2018, 22:50
Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,987 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Oakland
Oakland
California
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,172 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th July San Fransisco - boat trip?

Also be aware that sometimes the fireworks consist of bangs & flashes of colored light in the fog.

hlo

Level Contributor
1,955 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th July San Fransisco - boat trip?

Plenty of places along the shore to watch the fireworks. The problem with the cruise is, if you're tired and ready to go, you have to wait it out to the end. And if anyone has sea sickness, it becomes a really unfun activity.

And as hlo points out, our weather isn't always conducive to fireworks displays.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th July San Fransisco - boat trip?

I did a fireworks cruise once - and the weather was amazingly perfect (an exception to the rule in San Francisco). First and only time I've ever been seasick and I was completely miserable the entire time.

I grew up in San Jose (an hour south) and San Francisco doesn't really compare to what you get there. Normally the 4th is a day for BBQs, picnics, and hot summer nights. In San Francisco we get wind and fog, often wear puffy jackets and gloves against the cold.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Jose
San Jose
California
Reply to: 4th July San Fransisco - boat trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted