We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

I'm getting married in the San Francisco City Hall next month and there will only be the two of us. We are flying over from UK so don't know anywhere in the city.

Is there any nice restaurant (that we can pre-book online) nearby that we can go after the ceremony? Ideally somewhere nice for us to celebrate the occasion but not necessary have to be swanky). Either near the City Hall or Union Square (that's where we're staying) would be great too.

Many thanks.

24 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,549 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

If for dinner, try Jardiniere.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

Given how compact SF is, I wouldn't necessarily restrict yourself to something that is (particularly) close to City Hall and/or Union Square; not that you won't find plenty of acceptable options in those areas. For example, the MUNI metro (subway) can get you from the Civic Center (City Hall) anywhere from Embarcadero to West Portal pretty quickly or even into the Inner Sunset/Noe Valley/Upper Haight. I'm not saying you'd want to head to any of these specifically, but I'd say you would find restaurants that meet your (current) requirements within a few minutes walk of most of the stations. Similarly a cab/Uber/et al can whisk you nearby neighborhoods that don't have great MUNI connections.

Even if you don't take MUNI, cab, etc, I'll bet there are dozens (if not a hundred or more) restaurants near City Hall (mainly Hayes Valley area) and Union Square that will meet your needs.

Can you give use any more info beyond what you've already provided? If you can give us more ideas about things you'd like/dislike: cuisine, budget, drinks (wine, cocktails, beer?), etc; then we can tailor our suggestions. Otherwise about all we're doing is running down a generic laundry list of "the usual suspects."

That said, the first two that came to my mind are: Hayes Street Grill and Tadich Grill (I have fond memories of both). Unfortunately, Tadich doesn't take resesrvations so they might drop off your list based on that. Don't remember specifically if Hayes Street Grill does and too lazy to check.

That's my $.02 on that,

hlo

Level Contributor
3,377 posts
1 review
3. Re: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

Hayes Street does take reservations. They do take online reservations with some restrictions: http://www.hayesstreetgrill.com/reservations/

Absinthe is another suggestion in the City Hall area. But agree with hlo that there's no need to restrict yourself to that neighborhood.

Where are you staying?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,643 posts
194 reviews
4. Re: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

If Hayes Valley, Monsieur Benjamin. A cut above the rest. But are we talking lunch or dinner? Because dinner would be Jardiniere.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

They're staying near Union Square (you must have missed it in the OP).

Also, good point about meal/time of day, that's another piece of info that will help and (likely?) influence our suggestions.

hlo

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,298 posts
1,798 reviews
6. Re: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

While I agree how compact SF is, the rec for Jardinere was my first thought.

Lovely, romantic restaurant w/ very good food, which just happens to be near City Hall.

My rec too.

Hunt

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

Thank you all. It will be for an evening meal.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

Thank you all. It will be for an evening meal. We like pretty much all cuisines and are not fussy eaters. Love seafood too and Good wine. Budget - $100 for each person?

We stayed in union square and one of the options is that we will go back to get changed in the hotel first. As we will be dressed up for the wedding ceremony, we may look a bit over the top in our outfits.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
518 posts
2,101 reviews
9. Re: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

I second the recommendation for Monsieur Benjamin. Also Absinthe is very nice. Both within walking distance from city hall and both have amazing food. You will need a reservation for both of them.

Level Contributor
3,377 posts
1 review
10. Re: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall

Between Jardiniere and Monsieur Benjamin, I'd take Jardiniere for atmosphere. MB is an "industrial chic" space which I don't think of as "post-wedding."

While Jardiniere would suit very well, and I've had some excellent meals there, must point out that I've been very disappointed with their treatment of women dining together. (And this with a woman owner/chef.) Twice I have dined with a woman friend and have been completely ignored. Both at the host station, checking my coat and the bar.

This treatment was directly opposite to what I experience when I was accompanied by a man.

I've been left with a bad taste in my mouth (pun somewhat intentional) about this restaurant and am not in the forefront of those who recommend it.

So I will opt away from Hayes Valley and suggest Kokkari which is at Jackson Square. Not too far from Union Square. Ostensibly Greek but the food is excellent, the ambiance quiet and comfortable and the service never less the lovely and welcoming (even when I'm dining with a woman).

In this day and age, and especially in San Francisco, the way Jardiniere treats women dining together is beyond atrocious ... and, if I hadn't experienced it first hand, unbelievable.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 07:32
Reply to: Restaurant dinner - post-wedding ceremony at SF City Hall
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted