We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

49ers game

Niagara Falls...
1 post
49ers game

Hello,

My wife & I are looking to go to SF in the fall, partly to check out a Niners game. We're looking at either a Sunday afternoon game or a Monday Nighter. is there any advantage to one or the other? Also, has anyone done the pre-game Red Zone Rally? Is it worth it? Since we're from out of town, we won't be equipped for tailgating. Are tailgaters accomodating to out-of-towners? Also, we've heard it can be tricking getting to the stadium. What's the best way to get there if we're staying in SF?

Appreciate any input! Thank you!

15 replies to this topic
Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: 49ers game

The Sunday game will be easier to get to but will cut into your daytime SF sightseeing time. The public transit option from SF is to take Caltrain from SF to Mountain View station and transfer to VTA light rail. You need to by a COMBINATION round-trip ticket before you get on the train in SF.

Special trains will run on Sunday. For a weeknight game you will be stuffed into regular commuter trains so it is best to go early. Returning to SF, there will be special trains.

Check the Levi’s and Caltrain websites for further details closer to game day.

There are private bus options but they are expensive and not always reliable.

The Red Zone is expensive, but it may be your best option if you want to arrive early and hang out.

Either day, it will be a long day. Going 50 miles to a football game is not the same as hopping a mile or 2 over to AT&T Park for a baseball game.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,186 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: 49ers game

I prefer Sunday games to Monday night games. MNF is a big deal and all, but the stadium is more fun on Sundays because people actually have time to tailgate and have fun. Monday nights, half the people are late because it's hard to get to the game for 5:15 kickoff - and a lot fewer people tailgate because you basically have to take half a day off work to make that happen.

I've done the Red Zone Rally once and it was fun - lots of food, the drum line comes through, there's music, the cheerleaders make an appearance. It's a nice festive atmosphere for those who want to do something game-related before the game, but don't want to or can't tailgate. We've only done it once though because it is pricey and we didn't feel like it was worth doing again - but then we are local, so our criteria is different. We tailgate occasionally, but we usually just eat elsewhere before the games.

I honestly don't know how accommodating tailgaters are to out of towners. Some people have big set ups with tons of food, so they might be happy to share. If you brought some good beer to contribute to the party, that would probably help. When we tailgate, one has ever asked to join and we've never really noticed people looking to join a tailgate.

Getting to the stadium isn't hard if you take public transit. You can take Caltrain from the 4th and King station in SF (end of the line for SF) to Mountain View and then switch to the VTA light rail and take that to Great America station, which is right in front of the stadium. Then going back, just reverse the process.

California
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
335 reviews
3. Re: 49ers game

Noticed you posted in the San Francisco Forum. That forum is for a City that once had a team called the 49ers.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,186 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: 49ers game

Yes Liars, and of course no other team in the entire NFL plays outside the city limits of the city for which they are named ;-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,509 posts
5. Re: 49ers game

<<<Yes Liars, and of course no other team in the entire NFL plays outside the city limits of the city for which they are named ;-)>>>

yep there are a few, and then of course there are the NY Jets and NY Giants that dont play in the state that they are named for.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,301 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: 49ers game

Our top questions have info on how to get to the Santa Clara stadium I would do Sunday over Monday night and Skip any paid tailgate just go and enjoy the game

Voorhees, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
127 reviews
7. Re: 49ers game

Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, TX actually as well.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,186 posts
120 reviews
8. Re: 49ers game

Oh sorry, my post to Lars was supposed to be sarcasm :-) People like to make a big deal about the 49ers no longer playing in SF itself, as though this is some kind of unique situation.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,390 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: 49ers game

Go on Sunday. If you go on Monday, you'll be battling it out with commuters on the train and freeways to get to the stadium.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,580 posts
79 reviews
10. Re: 49ers game

>>People like to make a big deal about the 49ers no longer playing in SF itself, as though this is some kind of unique situation.<<

Not unique, but for the "49er Faithful" it felt/feels like a personal betrayal.

Reply to: 49ers game
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted