We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

melbourne
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Looking forward to our 5 week road trip in September.

A few years ago we travelled across the country by train but rented a car for a week in SF.

It was a Ford Focus which was great for the two of us. Pick up and drop off at downtown SF was convenient to our hotel so all went well.

This time we want to have car for the duration of our trip and the plan was to pick up and drop off at SF Intl airport. When comparing rates I have noticed that there appears to be a significant (20%) premium to be paid for this as opposed to collecting and dropping off downtown.

Can the forum provide some advice on this?

Is there somewhere nearby off airport that I can rent from and not pay a premium or maybe a different renter?

What has been your experience?

Many thanks for taking the time.

11 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Rental

I’ve not had a problem so far. It’s only flights I book on the actual website but everything else I use booking engines like booking.com, Hotels.com, . driveaway holidays, etc. it lets me see multiple deals at once. I always check the actual site of deal that looks good in case I can do better but 99% of the time I will go back to the booking engines. I’ll also check what Trippers are saying about eac place/service.

Reply to: Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;