We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

melbourne
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Looking forward to our 5 week road trip in September.

A few years ago we travelled across the country by train but rented a car for a week in SF.

It was a Ford Focus which was great for the two of us. Pick up and drop off at downtown SF was convenient to our hotel so all went well.

This time we want to have car for the duration of our trip and the plan was to pick up and drop off at SF Intl airport. When comparing rates I have noticed that there appears to be a significant (20%) premium to be paid for this as opposed to collecting and dropping off downtown.

Can the forum provide some advice on this?

Is there somewhere nearby off airport that I can rent from and not pay a premium or maybe a different renter?

What has been your experience?

Many thanks for taking the time.

11 replies to this topic
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,644 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

There are lots of car rental places in the area surrounding the airport, including Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, Alamo. I normally try to go with Enterprise first.

The downside to renting off the airport grounds is that you usually have less of a selection. If you want another small car, that shouldn't be a problem.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

I've rented straight from the SF intl and I dont think I've paid any extra premium? I've only got a Fiesta, but it's only £210 for 2 weeks. (AVIS)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,796 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

I would look at Avis hertz or national Alamo. As they bundle in insurance. Enterprise does not

Look at rates at Avis San Bruno or Hertz in that area. There is a fee to rent from an airport location so you may be getting a higher rate

Are you using the website of your home country?

Mentioned in this post
San Bruno
San Bruno
California
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

Try a company called 'Holiday autos' !

Level Contributor
5,684 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

What's the best price that you've found so far?

happyToursUSA.com is showing Alamo at $200US per week all fees and taxes included, whether you pick up in the city or at the airport. Also you can return the car to LAX if you'd rather book air tickets into SF and home from L.A.

melbourne
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

Many thanks.

Found a good rate with Thrifty.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,644 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

Be careful with the cheaper outfits like Thrifty. While there's no guarantee it will happen, often the companies with the lower initial quotes are the ones that work hardest to upsell you and hit you with surprise charges.

melbourne
Level Contributor
220 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

Thanks Simba.

Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

We rented our car through driveaway holidays in Australia so the insurances were all included with zero excess. You can choose whatever company has the best deal. We chose Thrifty & I’ve heard all the stories but so far so good for us. I just found doing it all through an Australian company where everything was covered gave peace of mind because renting direct here it’s very confusing what exactly your buying for insurance & can get taken for a ride if not careful (pardon the pun)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

If you rent from the Australian website for each company, you will get all necessary insurance included. For example www.hertz.com.au or www.avis.com.au

I don't rent through brokers, I prefer to deal directly with the company. Same goes for flights and hotels. For many reasons.

Reply to: Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted