We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
11 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

We will be going to Bar Harbor in the fall and I want to try a lobster pound. What's the best around? Also what are some favorite (or not favorite) restaurants? Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

"Best" is in the eye of the beholder. All of the lobster pounds of which I am aware do a good job. I'm sure that others will weigh in with their favorties. There are more high-end places with diverse menus, such as Union River in Ellsworth, scenery such as at Abel's on Somes Sound, convenience (close to the village center) such as West Street Cafe or Stewman's. Perhaps for the classic lobster pound, on a working harbor with piers and lobster traps all around, Thurston's in Bernard is that.

As for other restaurants, three of our favorites are Mache Bistro in Bar Harbor, Town Hill Bistro in Town Hill, and Red Sky in Southwest Harbor. The menus are different and diverse and all three feature fresh, often locally caught seafood, locally grown produce, and excellent meat. A close fourth is La Bella Vita in Bar Harbor---we like it for a salad or seafood starter and a Sicilian pizza.

Edited: 06 July 2010, 00:05
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

How late in the fall? Be aware that most of the lobster pounds begin to close around October 10, when it gets too cold to be sitting outside at dinner time.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
11 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

We are going early fall - September.

Level Contributor
2,753 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

What is a lobster pound? I have not heard that term before. As we plan our Maine trip wondering if it is something we should look into having or would it be going to?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

The term "lobster pound" dates back, I believe, to when lobster fishermen kept their catch in enclosed areas (pounds) in the harbor/bay. They would then sell their lobsters from these pounds to whoever showed up to buy. Some fishermen (or their families) also cooked lobsters on demand.

Today, "lobster pound" is term applied to (and used by) those, mostly water-side restaurants that specialize in providing whole, cooked lobsters.*** For the most part, these establishments have had a menu limited to lobster, salad, sometimes mussels or clams, and sometimes corn. In recent times, some restaurants/pounds have diversified their menus to include other seafood, sandwiches, and even meat.

***If you ask for lobster tail, there will be a hush and you will be looked at very strangely.

Edited: 07 July 2010, 22:46
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

Thanks would not want to shout out "We're from Chicago" the first time we order.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

You're welcome. They wouldn't know you were from Chicago, but they definitely would know that you were "from away."

Grafton, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

A very casual eating experience. You pick out your lobster, they put it in a bag, cook it for you. You sit at and sometimes share picnic tables with other diners; who are happily cracking away at their lobster. You can learn the proper way to dismantle your lobster by watching or asking others, or by reading the directions posted on wall or placemat. It is a messy meal--put your bib on! Meal sometimes includes items such as; sweet corn, boiled potates, mussels, chowder, etc. Hopefully a piece of wild Maine blueberry pie will be available for dessert. Okay, I am making myself hungry. I can't wait until September!

Level Contributor
2,753 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

Thank you we can't wait for our trip either.

10. Re: What is the best lobster pound in/near Bar Harbor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2011, 16:17