We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smallmouth Bass Fishing near Bar Harbor

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Tx
2 posts
Save Topic
Smallmouth Bass Fishing near Bar Harbor

I'm trying to get some info on smallmouth fishing close to Bar Harbor. We are coming in the early part of August. I have hired a guide and will be fishing the Kennebec on a float but was wondering what was closer by for say a half day. Lake or river since I will have already gone on a float. I could not find a fly shop listed in Bar Harbor. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smallmouth Bass Fishing near Bar Harbor

As far as I know, Mount Desert Island is not smallmouth bass territory or for much other of fresh water fishing, which may be why you couldn't find a local fly shop.

The mainland may be different--you might try the Bangor or other inland forums.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
905 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smallmouth Bass Fishing near Bar Harbor

Fishing is pretty awful on the Island compared to other parts of the state. The only place we've consistently caught small mouth bass is Somes Pond from a canoe, usually early in the AM or dusk. Hit or miss on Long Pond. We've caught bass around the tip of Northern Neck, again from a canoe. Seal Cove Pond and Round Pound have small mouth but the fishing is really hit or miss.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smallmouth Bass Fishing near Bar Harbor

You don't see a whole lot of folks who are fresh water fishing experts on this forum. Perhaps you can find a forum that has more of a sportsman slant that can steer you to a good fishing area.

Grand Lake Stream in far eastern Maine has a great fishing reputation but I have no idea if there are places closer to Acadia that you'll like just as well. See www.rideouts.com/maine-bass-fishing.html

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smallmouth Bass Fishing near Bar Harbor

Eden Village is the best place on the Island for small mouth bass fishing. They have have small pond but it is full of bass. Catch and release, but only available to guests staying there.

Dallas, Tx
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Smallmouth Bass Fishing near Bar Harbor

Many thanks for the input.

Liltex

6. Re: Smallmouth Bass Fishing near Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 03:18