We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

construction next to Honua Kai

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Topic
construction next to Honua Kai

We just booked 4 days staying at Honua Kai (south side). Just wonder if anybody has recently been there and know what the status on the construction next to the property?

thanks,

-tristan

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,369 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: construction next to Honua Kai

As far as I know that has been put on hold. I have no clue when or if anything will start up again.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: construction next to Honua Kai

Thanks.

Saratoga, CA
Level Contributor
656 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: construction next to Honua Kai

The project has been on 'indefinite hold' for several years now and the report is that there are no current plans to start up construction.

That being said, there will be occasional work being done on the property to control flood erosion and keep the site up. I've also been told that the builder needs to do a small amount of work there from time to time to keep the Building Permit active with the County of Maui. Every couple of years they've gone in and done a little tractor work. The odds are greatly in your favor that the site will be dormant during your stay.

Curt

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
764 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: construction next to Honua Kai

Last I heard, it will be two to five years before the Westin proceeds with this project. They may have water issues as well. They may sell the property. Many unknowns. Best odds favor the "as is" look which I think you will want to see ample pictures of from the lanai in every direction, not just the ocean view pics. If you can get past the construction issue, you may be able to save on your nightly rate.

5. Re: construction next to Honua Kai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 04:57