We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Stay in Unit 306

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Desert Hot Springs
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do Not Stay in Unit 306

This unit is a regular condo and the owner is dividing it and renting the two parts out as studios. The rents is the same as what you would pay for a full condo.

The uni t is dirty, there is no phone, the bed so soft I slept on the floor, sofa also old, soft and dirty. The entire unit needs a good cleaning or remodel and all the furniture needs replacing..

Owner takes cash only and will not issue a standard rental agreement and will not respond should you have questions prior to arrival.

The Nana Kai Hale complet is lovely itself, and you would enjoy it, but do not rent Unit 306!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,344 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do Not Stay in Unit 306

Sorry you didn't like your unit. Perhaps you would like to write a review? The forums aren't the place to leave reviews.

tripadvisor.com/help/what_the_forums_are_not

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do Not Stay in Unit 306

Owner takes cash only and will not issue a standard rental agreement and will not respond should you have questions prior to arrival.>>>

shihtzu5

then why would you even book with him --- there are so many other condos that you could have chosen and avoided this problem

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do Not Stay in Unit 306

I agree with Lou ... and I am very sorry, too. But why did you trust such a situation? Thanks for posting, as a signal to other renters --- of any units.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do Not Stay in Unit 306

I agree with the other posters. Why would anyone rent a place without seeing pictures and protecting yourself (as much as possible) with a rental agreement - they aren't just to protect the condo owners.

I just put a deposit down on a unit at the Mahana. The owner provided multiple pictures on multiple listing sites and had a very professional contract. I feel very comfortable renting from them.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do Not Stay in Unit 306

In college we ran into a deal like that at an E Coast resort area, the guy on check out had the nerve to charge us the resort area BED TAX too! My buddy reported him, and surprise surprise, he never gave the tax money over to the community

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do Not Stay in Unit 306

Nani Kai Hale is one of my favorite properties in the moderate price range.

Sorry you weren't able to enjoy it fully due to this unfortunate experience.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do Not Stay in Unit 306

When renting a condo from an owner, I expect to be able to see plenty of interior photos of everything, including sleeping areas, kitchen and bath.

In addition, I look at photos of other condos in the resort to compare and make sure pricing is reasonable.

Also I look for several positive reviews that contain specific details about the condition of the condo. I discount reviews that sound like a sales brochure that are obviously written by the owner.

Desert Hot Springs
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do Not Stay in Unit 306

You are correct, there are many other units, in fact, most, that do not require cash. I took the chance of paying cash because this unit was on Sugar Beach, where I had wanted to stay for a long time.

At the time of my initial inquiry, the owner had told me that he would provide a rental agreement upon reciept of my deposit. He broke his word.

Desert Hot Springs
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do Not Stay in Unit 306

I did request photos of the interior and the owner provided them. You are correct that I should have demanded photos of all the rooms. The photos provided were of a bedroom only, and three photos showing the beauty and gorgeous views of the complex. I was taken in by these outside views I guess.

The bedroom photo, of course, could not show the fact that the bed was impossible to sleep on; two twin beds pushed together and unbelievably soft mattress.

It is interesting to note that on the units website at VRBO, the photos he is providing now are of a different unit which he apparently owns.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do Not Stay in Unit 306

Can you not lodge a complaint with VRBO regarding the pictures of the unit being the incorrect pics? Or is he renting the other unit with the correct pics?

And as for sending a deposit, then being provided with a rental agreement---that is back a$$wards. It shouldn't happen that way--your initial deposit should be sent with your signature on the rental agreement. This is the second time in a week this issue has cropped up.

Red flags for your next rental.