We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

Iowa
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

We are coming in on a cruise ship in April. Disembark around 10 a.m., stay the night & then need to be on board by 4 pm the following day (2 days total). We are an adventuresome couple, wanting to enjoy the scenery & do some hiking. Do we have time to do both the Haleakala National Park & The Road to Hana in those two days and really do each one justice?

Was thinking about driving to the summit the first day, stay overnight on the ship & then head out around 5am for the Road to Hana. Was wanting to get all the way to Oheo Gulch & be back in time to return our rental car around 3 & be back to the ship by 4. Is all this possible?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

I think it is possible with that early start to get to Hana, but I sure would not want to risk it! One accident can shut down the road for hours. I would be a nervous wreck the whole way back watching the clock! You would be better off doing the RTH the first day, a very long day, and late getting back, but at least you wouldn't be missing the ship! Then you can do the summit the next day. It will cost you $10.00 for each car to go into the park, but don't lose the receipt. It is good for three days, so you can use it again at Oheo Gulch end.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

Boy that is iffy at best. I wouldn't go to Hana if I need to be back on a ship at a certain time. Too many variables that could hinder you getting back to the ship.

Would you even be able to get off the ship so early? It will still be dark and driving the Hana Hwy is not easy in the dark. You are looking at at least 6 hrs. worth of driving there and back then trying to explore the area. It's fairly remote, if they close the road for any reason, your stuck.

I personally would just drive up Haleakala and plan something else for your second day.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,045 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

I also think you would be better off Road to Hana the first day.

You can go to Haleakala second day.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,545 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

Your Hana time table "looks" doable but not really. The problem are the IFs. And these ifs happen. If there's construction that shuts the road down for a few hours. If there's a wreck. If it was your first day the only bad thing would be getting stuck and having to drive back in the dark, which isn't any fun to do.

I would spend the first day at Iao Valley about 15 minutes from the harbor, beautiful area. then either drive South and enjoy that area or drive to Lahaina by way of Ma'alaea (donot try to drive from Waliuku around the northern loop, one lane, no guard rails and will void your rental car agreement). I would pass Lahaina keep on Hwy 30 to mm 38.5 to the Nakalele BlowHole, you can hike in this area, please be safe and keep your distance from the blowhole. Retrace your route back to Kapalua, walk the Kapalua Costal Trail, then stop in Lahaina and see the HUGE Banyan tree.

The second day if you feel like it you could drive up to the summit of Haleakela for the sunrise or after, several great trails both short and long. Stay and enjoy the UpCountry area. It offers beautiful views, visit the grounds of the winery, stop by the Lavendar Farm, stroll their gardens(free) and enjoy the scenery. You will not have the ifs of the Road to Hana meeting your return schedule.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

We did RTH on Day 1 and Haleakala on Day 2.

Check this out:

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

Barefoot is right. Iao Valley will provide same types of scenery you'll see on parts of RTH. North route past Kapalua up to the blowhole will give you similar coastal views -- west and southwest beaches complete the picture. If you have a Senior National Parks pass, it will get you into Haleakala at no extra charge. Good for everyone in your party. That would give you a pretty good "condensed" tour of beautiful Maui. We love it and try to visit at least every other year,

Edited: 11 February 2012, 16:22
Broussard, Louisiana
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

Another vote for RTH the first day and halekela the second. I rate RTH as a must see attraction. Make sure to get the "road to Hana cd" because the attraction isn't actually Hana but the many hidden stops you will make along the way!

Maui
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

You mentioned hiking. Past Hana is the Oheo Gulch (part of Haleakala National Park) with the pools that go down towards the ocean. There is a nice hiking trail up the mountain side called the Pipiwai Trail that goes to two waterfalls and through a bamboo forest. It is 4 miles round trip. The road to Hana (RTH) has some nice stops, but I would consider this a must see. I would drive straight here and then stop on the other sites on the way back.

If you go, be prepared for wet, muddy conditions and bring bug spray on the trail.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 07:09
Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,925 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

RTH, as everybody says, do it the first day, make sure you get your early starts, good luck and have fun. Hubie

Edited: 15 February 2012, 07:40
10. Re: Haleakala National Park and/or Highway to Hana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 19:23