We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana Day trip

Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Hana Day trip

Any up to date tips ? We plan to leave Kahana at 7 am. Getting used to driving on the other side of the road. Would like to know if back road is open for retune journey. We have a 4 door sedan and not an SUV

13 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Hana Day trip

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Maui
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
82 reviews
2. Re: Hana Day trip

Just be aware that going all the way around does violate your rental car agreement. If you should break down, they will not foot the bill. Take snacks and water. Plan on a good 10 - 12 hour day with stops. If you like to hike, at Haleakala National Park Kipahulu district is the Pipiwai trail. 4 miles R/T up the hill through a bamboo forest with 2 waterfalls. The second one is at the end. You can do the loop trail down to the pools at Oheo gulch...also know as the 7 Pools. No swimming, this is closed.

Don't leave anything of value in your car when you stop on the way.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: Hana Day trip

I wouldn’t go around the back side...As Snorkel Lady mentions, your rental car agreement prohibits renters from going around the back side.

Edited: 03 May 2018, 14:03
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Hana Day trip

🙏

Maui
Level Contributor
72,132 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Hana Day trip

The backside is closed.

Have a great time!

Maui
Level Contributor
72,132 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Hana Day trip

Also, depending on the weather, the last half of the Pipiwai may be closed tomorrow. They are trying to clean trees out of it.

Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Hana Day trip

Thanks so much. We are first time visitors from NZ

Level Contributor
36 posts
8. Re: Hana Day trip

Depending how much you want to see, you may need to leave sooner. We left from Kihei at 6:15am which I considered a late start. It wasn’t very crowded the day we went since it was raining, & we were the first car to pull into almost every stop we made, followed nearly every place by about 10 others fighting for the remaining parking spots. I kept telling my husband, “5 more minutes & we would’ve been one of these cars!” We researched stops pretty extensively & estimated how long we would spend each place + drive time in between to determine what time we needed to leave to see the stops on our list. Good luck & have fun!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
9. Re: Hana Day trip

Since back roads are closed should o even bother renting a jeep wrangler and get a compact instead to go to hana and up to haleakala

Maui
Level Contributor
72,132 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Hana Day trip

No need to pay for a jeep! And even if the backside was open, you'd still be uninsured on it, jeep or not.

Reply to: Hana Day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted