We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana for 3 nights mid July

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
Hana for 3 nights mid July

My husband and I are coming to Maui for a week and a half starting the second week in July. We decided to spend our first (3) nights in Hana. We have our lodging booked. I am looking for the Must Do or See list for that area. Also any dining recommendations. We are up for anything from hiking to scuba to spa-etc. Thursday- Sunday time frame. Love ideas for where the locals go!

12 replies to this topic
West Bountiful, Utah
Level Contributor
416 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Hana for 3 nights mid July

Lots of Food trucks in Hana with some great food. Not sure how many are open in the evening though.

We stayed a week and went out for lunch and bought enough to re heat for dinner

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Hana for 3 nights mid July

Thank you- what was the favorite thing you did during your stay?

West Bountiful, Utah
Level Contributor
416 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Hana for 3 nights mid July

Hamoa Beach is our favorite.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,113 posts
109 reviews
4. Re: Hana for 3 nights mid July

For that many nights, you will want to stop and pick up some snacks and drinks in Kahului before heading out there. But what time does your flight arrive? My concern would be the drive out there, after a long flight. And jet lag! I wouldn't want to be driving it in the dark either. Are you arriving from a different island, or from Georgia?

A half hour further than Hana is the Oheo Gulch side of Haleakala National Park. I'd be heading there early one morning to hike the Pipiwai Trail. That way, you get the trail mostly to yourselves, before the crowds get there.

And Waianapanapa State Park, just south of the Hana airport, would be a fun place to spend a morning. It is where the black sand beach is located. You would have time to explore the King's Trail there too. It's an amazing hike, showing incredible scenery along the coast. It heads south. If you head towards the blowhole, you will find the trail.

Another wonderful stop would be at Lindbergh's Grave. It's another 3 minute drive past Oheo Gulch. Beautiful church, beautiful grounds. Take time to find where Sam's gibbons are buried in the cemetery.

Maui
Level Contributor
72,067 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Hana for 3 nights mid July

I just bumped a thread from the main Maui forum for you, about the Pi'ilani Heiau and Kahanu Gardens.

You def should NOT drive to Hana if you are coming from the mainland that day. That's a dangerous idea, because you will be tired and already out of whack. Remember that we don't do daylight savings.

Getting on a slow, twisty road, in an unfamiliar car, in the later afternoon--with a 3 to 4 hour drive ahead of you----not a good plan. Grab a room at the Courtyard Marriott or down in Kihei at the Days Inn and go in the morning, please...........for your safety and others' too.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Hana for 3 nights mid July

Good advice from the others.

Whenever you go on this trip, go straight to the accommodation and check in. Do not be tempted to park and leave the car with luggage etc, car thefts happen on Maui. Same when returning.

I know this puts a kink in your plans as seeing everything north of Hana would require a lot of back-tracking.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Hana for 3 nights mid July

Take a look at the Top Question on the right hand side of this page. Very helpful info right at your finger tips. You will need to use a computer or,the "full site" if using a mobile device or the app.

This web-site is also very helpful for planning a journey to Hana. Have a magical time in one of my favorite places!!

www.hawaii-guide.com

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Hana for 3 nights mid July

You do realize that Hana is not a resort area ... right? It's a teeny town. Not much there. The lure of the "Road to Hana" is the Road ... not Hana.

Nick's admonition to drive the Road when fresh and well-rested is a good, wise one! If you are arriving at OGG late-ish and need accommodations, we can give you ideas ... but act quickly. July is BUSY!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
9. Re: Hana for 3 nights mid July

Hana us very rural.

Nice hikes, great scenery, wonderfully peaceful

It is all about nature

Not even sure if there is a dive operator there as windward ocean conditions can be very rough

Good diving west and south Maui later in your trip

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
10. Re: Hana for 3 nights mid July

Thank you for all the information.

Reply to: Hana for 3 nights mid July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted