We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana day trip

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
21 posts
Hana day trip

I got this itinerary fm @JennyFletchers post. Hoping she responds to me with her experience. Going early May. Looking for advise on driving the back way and starting with Pipiwai trail to save time. I know it’s not recommended and will take Hana Highway otherwise.

5:45am – leave Kaanapali

6:45am - Twin Falls

8:00am – leave Twin Falls

8:45am - Halfway to Hana Stand

9:00am – leave halfway to hana stand

9:15am - Upper Waikani Falls (3 Bears)

10:15am – leave Waikani Falls

10:45am - Coconut Glenns (Ice cream)

11:00am – leave coconut Glenns

11:30am - Wai’anapanapa State Park (Black Sand Beach)

12:00pm – leave Wai’anapanapa

12:15pm - Thai food by Pranee

1:00pm – leave food and head to seven sacred pools

1:30pm - Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools)

2:00pm - Pipiwai Trail

4:00pm – head back to Kaanapali (3 hour drive)

32 replies to this topic
Norton, Ohio
1 post
31. Re: Hana day trip

Hi all, just did the RTH a few weeks ago. Happened to be on Maui right after a few days of heavy rain. The way into Hana from Kihei wasn't too bad with light rain that did get pretty heavy at times. Still, traffic was light and you could go at your own pace. The waterfalls we running heavy...HEAVY!!! They were scary to say the least. While in Hana, the rain had gotten heavier back down the highway and things got hairy. A lot of the one lane bridges were flooded, and the streams got pretty treacherous. Then the mud slide, right before on of the bridges in a hairpin turn. I have to say, the road crew was incredible. It took about 45 minutes to clear, but if you take into account where you are and the speed at which you have to get the equipment up there to clear the road. That is incredible speed. After the road was cleared. The road department did an awesome job of orchestrating blocking maneuvers to get traffic rolling smoothly and efficiently. I was thoroughly impressed to say the least. I wish road crews ran the efficiently on the mainland. Anyway, the road was completely drivable but the speed limits should be followed and complete attention is required. Can't wait to go back.

PS..why doesn't anyone talk about RT 340 on the NW side of Maui. That's an experience!!! wow.

Edited: 21 April 2018, 02:35
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
32. Re: Hana day trip

That's the Kahekili Hwy, we talk about it all the time. Most of it is also restricted by rental car contracts. Go as far as the blow hole and turn around.

Reply to: Hana day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted