We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hana day trip

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Hana day trip

I got this itinerary fm @JennyFletchers post. Hoping she responds to me with her experience. Going early May. Looking for advise on driving the back way and starting with Pipiwai trail to save time. I know it’s not recommended and will take Hana Highway otherwise.

5:45am – leave Kaanapali

6:45am - Twin Falls

8:00am – leave Twin Falls

8:45am - Halfway to Hana Stand

9:00am – leave halfway to hana stand

9:15am - Upper Waikani Falls (3 Bears)

10:15am – leave Waikani Falls

10:45am - Coconut Glenns (Ice cream)

11:00am – leave coconut Glenns

11:30am - Wai’anapanapa State Park (Black Sand Beach)

12:00pm – leave Wai’anapanapa

12:15pm - Thai food by Pranee

1:00pm – leave food and head to seven sacred pools

1:30pm - Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools)

2:00pm - Pipiwai Trail

4:00pm – head back to Kaanapali (3 hour drive)

32 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hana day trip

The first thing I would do is throw the times out the window. There really is no need. Drive straight to Oheo Gulch to hike the Pipiwai Trail then stop where and when you want on the way back. You may want to drive to Kipahulu to see Lindbergh's grave before turning around and going back the same way you came. You don't want to break that rental car contract!!

Remember the Hana highway is more about the journey than ticking sites off a list!!

Edited: 26 March 2018, 03:31
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hana day trip

Thank you for the tip. The times are just a guide and will likely adjust as we go. I’ll be reversing the order. Any tips on where to grab a quick breakfast since Hana stores will likely be closed when we get in to town?

Maui
Level Contributor
70,233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hana day trip

You are underestimating the driving time. Due to traffic and road work, it will prob take you around 3 1/2 to 4 hours to reach Hana, even leaving at 5:45. There will be places open by then for food. It's often easier to just pack some stuff--and you *must* pack water. Then you can explore the Pipiwai on arrival, and loop back down to check out lunch options :-).

The back road is closed all weekdays from very early AM to after 4 PM, for a major project. You wouldn't get to Kipahulu (where the Pipiwai is) before the closure. You'd just have spent several hours only to have to turn around and go back *all the way* around to the main road.

If you think doing the backside on a weekend is a good idea--please think again. Your insurance will be voided, and the road is in bad shape in the project area (as well as some other places). I also will reiterate for all lurkers and readers to PLEASE be considerate of the residents who must use the road. Just take the main road back :-).

Edited: 26 March 2018, 05:12
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hana day trip

Thank you for the tip. We will skip the back road and go the same route back.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hana day trip

We usually took our breakfast, bought the night before. Fruit, some kind of pastry product, juice. Even stopped by Krispy Kreme once on our way out.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hana day trip

Did the road and stayed in Hana for a couple of nights a couple of weeks ago. Some thoughts -- get the Road to Hana CD, it is helpful. Also get the Maui Revealed book and follow along with this. Go and see the Garden of Eden on the way. It was one of our highlights, lots of bamboo, banana, eucalyptus etc trees, peacocks. Well worth the $15 to get in. The Thai food at the truck is Hana is very good. The 7 pools are ok but more interesting was watching the waves and the coastline from the park overlook. There is also a short trail to hike a short distance past Twin Falls. It is mentioned in the CD and the book. Only takes about 15 minutes or so and provides a stretch and there is a good viewpoint.

Both the book and the CD say to not bother with Twin Falls. We checked it out on the way back and due to the heavy rains it was running and so was work a look. With low water it might be worth a pass.

And be careful if you have anyone in the car who is susceptible to motion sickness. I am highly susceptible and even though I was driving I felt a bit nauseous at times.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hana day trip

Thank you for the helpful tip. Glad you enjoyed your time.

california
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hana day trip

So the pipiwai hike is open or closed?

Maui
Level Contributor
70,233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hana day trip

Pipiwai is open.

The pools of Oheo are closed. You can see some of them, but no swimming.

United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
11,597 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hana day trip

If you see a sign on the road for Huli Huli chicken at Koki Beach, make sure to take that turn. It’s fabulous. Not to mention the view!........

Reply to: Hana day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted