We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last night in Hana

6 posts
Last night in Hana

We were thinking of spending our last night in Hana after 6 nts in Kaanapali. Our flight doesn’t leave until 10:30 pm the next day so thought we could hike, hang out at beach and see some sights on way back (although now nervous about theft). Is it bad to plan this the night before you catch a flight. Does one ever get stuck in Hana due to road closures? We are going this month.

20 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
72,043 posts
18 reviews
11. Re: Last night in Hana

I'm sorry, but it's a bad idea anytime of year. You just can't predict the weather or road issues.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
12. Re: Last night in Hana

October should be much drier than February but there is always a chance of an early storm, no way to tell.

Maui
Level Contributor
72,043 posts
18 reviews
13. Re: Last night in Hana

October brings tropical storms--it's still Hurricane season, not winter.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
15 posts
14. Re: Last night in Hana

Appreciate the October feedback. I think it's apparent why the area remains so pristine and undeveloped...hard to get to and hard to get out of. Which is indeed the appeal.

Thanks again,

Scott

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
15. Re: Last night in Hana

Very true and the number of tropical storms that had any effect on Hawaii in October since 1843 is 4.

Maui
Level Contributor
72,043 posts
18 reviews
16. Re: Last night in Hana

It's not so pristine and undeveloped as it was, but yes--parts of it still are. Luckily, many major landowners have chosen to *not* develop swaths of their land.

A named storm is not the only kind that causes damage. In fact, as noted by fish, named storms are few for attributable damage to Maui. But that doesn't matter, since a storm can be hundreds of miles away and still cause very heavy rains and winds. Or, we can have storms like the one that destroyed 'Iao Valley in September 2016--which wasn't ever named or considered a danger until it caused millions of dollars of damage.

Hana has had huge damage over the years from exactly these types of storms. It will again--it's just a matter of when. And even if there's not major damage, trees coming down and landslides are common all year round there, on the road. The road itself also has major problems-which is why there is roadwork on it all the time now, in addition to the major project on the backside.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
17. Re: Last night in Hana

Yes, I was addressing tropical storms and hurricanes per post 13.

Maui
Level Contributor
72,043 posts
18 reviews
18. Re: Last night in Hana

LOL, I didn't say direct hits, in any of my posts-13 or otherwise. Have a nice day, fish :-).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
113 reviews
19. Re: Last night in Hana

There are so many potentials for hold-ups & delays along the way that I would be worried about you missing your flight. We did the trip last month and on the day we went, the roads were blocked and there were delays because machines were cutting the undergrowth and trees back from the road. As others have said, weather and accidents could cause you all sorts of problems. Slow traffic could also mean it is difficult to judge your timing.

If you are hiring a car, have you thought about driving from Kaanapali instead one day? We stayed up around Keone Nui Bay and drove from there. Yes, it was a long day (very long) but I am also very happy that we made the effort. Definitely worth it. We came close to deciding that it was too hard but we bit the bullet in the end & so glad we did. Besides, almost anywhere you drive in Maui has beautiful scenery so its not as if the drive to Paia was wasted time.

Despite having to drive a fair way to get to Paia, we were able to see Waikamoi Ridge Trail Walk (stretch legs), Ke'anae Aboretum (rainbow eucalypts), Ke'anae Peninsula (fabulous), 3 Bears Waterfall (great for photos) and Wai'ananapa State Park (must-see black sand beach and lava caves). This was easily manageable in one day without staying at Paia or Hana.

Maui
Level Contributor
72,043 posts
18 reviews
20. Re: Last night in Hana

Yep--and in fact, even though the weather hasn't been bad for about a week, just last night a tree blocked the road totally for a few hours. There were also a couple of small landslides last night and today so far.

Reply to: Last night in Hana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted