We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One full day in Hana

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One full day in Hana

We will be arriving in Maui on Thursday, October 25 from Kauai, picking up our rental car and hopefully on the road to Hana by 11:00 a.m. We made this trip three years ago, thought it was beautiful and would like to spend two nights in Hana. On Thursday I don't expect to get there until later afternoon, definitely before dark. We will stop and see sights on the way. On Friday we have the entire day in Hana.

Are the Pools of Ohe'o open? I Googled the park service and it has it listed as still closed on their website, but if open, we'd go there first thing in the morning. We also are planning to stop at the Red Sand Beach so my boyfriend can take pictures (I'm well aware of the danger so that is why I'm staying the car), Koki Beach, and Hamoe Beach. We just like being by the water and watching the waves, so we won't be doing snorkeling or swimming, other than walking along the water's edge. We'll pick up lunch at the food truck or general store, and again, where to eat or pick up for dinner? What other sights would you recommend?

I'm also deciding between the Bamboo Inn or Hana Kai. Thoughts?

On Saturday morning we'll get up early and start our drive to West Maui with stops in Paia and Makawao and hopefully have enough time to grab some appetizers at the bar at Mama's Fish House.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

10 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One full day in Hana

Pools are closed indefinitely.

Situation could change by Oct. Watch the NPS web for changes.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One full day in Hana

You shouldn't stop on the way. Too much risk of theft from the car, sorry.

If you want to do red sand, do it from the coastal side. Not, not the cliff trail, whether it's your boyfriend alone or not.

Mama's is before you'd be close to Makawao. I'd hike the Pipiwai and then head back towards Mama's.

Edited: 18 January 2018, 15:49
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One full day in Hana

"access from coastal side" -- is there another trail to get to the beach?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,225 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One full day in Hana

Yes, don't do any touring with luggage in your car unless it's within your sight. Have you been to Lindbergh's grave?

Although changes can be constant, take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page for places to eat. You will need to use the "full site" if you are using a mobile device.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One full day in Hana

Read the article and esp the comments here:

mauiguidebook.com/things-to-do/…

Please know that it's not some magical place. It's dirty, frequently hosts a lot of druggies and homeless, and even the coastal trail is dangerous.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One full day in Hana

As others stated, don't do any touring on the way to or from Hana, theft is an issue. This is one of the many reasons why we recommend a day trip rather than staying in Hana, plus you risk closure or construction defeating your plans.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,467 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One full day in Hana

I am all for you staying in Hana... especially since you are doing it at the beginning and don't need to drive back from Hana and catch a plane. We did something similar... make sure you grab any needed groceries in Kahului before heading to Hana. We did do several stops on way down... but only ones that we were right my our jeep. You can look at my blog for ideas of other places to go/hike etc.

https:/…

Wailuku, Hawaii
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One full day in Hana

Don't listen to any of these people about theft, etc.. We go to Hana many times a year and have NEVER had a problem with theft. As far as your Itinerary, go where you feel like. I Love Hamoa Beach (stay to the left). also Wainapana is awesome if you go down a trail.

Wailuku, Hawaii
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One full day in Hana

What is wrong with you? Why would you say this about Haba?

Edited: 28 January 2018, 17:38
Maui
Level Contributor
70,165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One full day in Hana

Who are you attacking?

If you mean Waianapanapa, it's one of my fav places but the currents are often wicked.

Re theft from cars, it's well documented in the crime stats and reports. We are trying to prevent the OP from being a victim.

Reply to: One full day in Hana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted