We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brennecke Beach still all rocks?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
38 posts
109 reviews
Brennecke Beach still all rocks?

I posted this question before our trip a year ago. At that time, much of the sand from Brennecke Beach had washed out and the beach was very rocky, making it difficult for any water based activities--scary if there was surf. That was the status last December when I was there. Wondering if anyone can tell me whether it has changed. Some people say the sand will come back, but I'm not sure when/how.

Thanks.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Brennecke Beach still all rocks?

Its seasonal, but it will never be a sandy cove. The shape of the area combined with the waves just isn't conducive to accumulating sand. Be safe if you do go - that beach was the cause of my one (and hopefully only) trip to the emergency room to get stitched back up.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,909 posts
1 review
2. Re: Brennecke Beach still all rocks?

It's much better than it was a year ago. But not the best I've seen it over the past ten years or so. The rocks are still there. The differences are from how much sand is coming in covering the rocks or being pushed back out from storms.

I have a photograph somewhere of Brennecke's Beach in the early 70's. It was a beautiful sandy bay and the sand extended well to the opposite side of the bay halfway to Poipu Beach Park. Also, it was a beautiful coconut grove and the home of a doctor, Marvin Brennecke,, was there. The '82 hurricane took care of the house and coconut palms and gouged out the beach. The '92 hurricane added more to the damage. The Poipu Beach Resort Association had a program , funded by donations from hotels and condo owners in Poipu, to replenish the sand there. It was a lost cause as it kept washing out.

Here's an article about Dr. Brennecke who the beach is named after....

thegardenisland.com/lifestyles/island_histor…

If I can figure out how to post that photo I'll do so

Edited: 12 October 2016, 07:15
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
3. Re: Brennecke Beach still all rocks?

In April it was ok for boogie boarding some times. depending on the tide you were either standing on sand or rocks.

I'm going back in November and hope it will have improved further.

Bob

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
38 posts
109 reviews
4. Re: Brennecke Beach still all rocks?

I have been visiting the beach most years for about eight years. I had heard that sometimes sand was added (as you describe) but that does sound like an impossible task. It seemed to get dramatically less sandy a couple years ago--a stormy fall. I've wondered if there was really that much natural restoration--where, after all, could the sand come from? If it's way down deep underwater it's hard for ordinary wave action to get it all the way up to the beach. But perhaps in time....

I'm interested to know the history. Thanks so much.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
38 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: Brennecke Beach still all rocks?

I think I got lucky the first years I was there. It was quite sandy. Now, not so much. And caution is certainly warranted. (Caution for me means only go in if it is calm indeed. Nice for snorkeling, not so much for boogie boarding.)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,909 posts
1 review
6. Re: Brennecke Beach still all rocks?

Beasleys, the first restoration project after Iniki was bringing in sand from Polihale. They had planned on a series of dumps but after just a couple they realized the sand wasn't sticking around anyway. The problem was the hurricane had gouged out so much of the natural slope and that created a rough shorebreak which just pulls the sand back out. So Plan B was to create a concrete revetment, which they did, to give a more subtle slope to it and to let the waves roll in more gently. That seems to have failed too.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
38 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Brennecke Beach still all rocks?

Thanks so much. Every time I am there I figure there is lots of history I do not know, and since most of the people I interact with are either visiting or somewhat recent arrivals, they don't know either. So I'm glad to have some insight. I love it dearly as it is, but could not help but wonder what it might be like this year. I guess now I have a pretty decent idea.

8. Re: Brennecke Beach still all rocks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2017, 16:16