We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Waterfalls?

San Marcos...
9 posts
1 review
Free Waterfalls?

Hi !

Traveling at the end of OCT.

I'm on a budget. My "paid" tour budget is shrinking.

Does anyone know if there are waterfalls which you can freely hike to a swim in?

OR, suggest price friendly one or one worth its cost?

THANKS A BUNCH!

California
Level Contributor
41,457 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Free Waterfalls?

poipubeach.org/blog/5-must-see-waterfalls-ka…

There are waterfalls you can see, but not hike into too.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
1 review
2. Re: Free Waterfalls?

You don't have to do "paid tours" to see and do the best of Kauai. Of course you'll need to in order to see the NaPali coastline by boat or a helicopter tour. Other than that the best of Kauai is FREE. Are you not renting a car?

Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Free Waterfalls?

Best waterfall to swim in is 4 miles in on the Kalalau Trail called Hanakapiai waterfall.

San Marcos...
9 posts
1 review
4. Re: Free Waterfalls?

Thanks so much for your response. YES. I do have a rental reserved.

San Marcos...
9 posts
1 review
5. Re: Free Waterfalls?

Great! Once there. With map of island in hand, will that be easy to find?

Thx-

California
Level Contributor
41,457 posts
130 reviews
6. Re: Free Waterfalls?

^^Its not an easy hike and in October you will need to pay attention to the weather. Just drive to the very end of the road on the North Shore. Read up on hiking the Kalalau Trail to see if its for you.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
775 posts
1 review
7. Re: Free Waterfalls?

The hike to Hanakapiai falls is not easy by any stretch. It is an 8 mile round trip hike the requires a good deal of exertion. Also, as was just stated, you need to be wary of weather and trail conditions and the trail will be CROWDED. This is one of the most popular hikes in the entire State, let alone just Kauai. Parking is a real issue.

An easier hike is the Canyon Trail located up in Koke'e State park. It is a much easier hike, offers some incredible views of the canyon from the other side, and ends at a cute little swimming hole with a small waterfall. The falls are nowhere near as impressive as Hanakapiai, but it is a nice place just the same.

San Marcos...
9 posts
1 review
8. Re: Free Waterfalls?

Thank you so very much!

San Marcos...
9 posts
1 review
9. Re: Free Waterfalls?

This sounds great. Thank you. I'm pretty athlete and I love to hike. I will take the advice offered and hike cautiously. Looking forward to quite nature!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
18,242 posts
137 reviews
10. Re: Free Waterfalls?

Sorry to sound like Debbie Downer, but swimming in freshwater or under a waterfall can be hazardous. Debris such as rocks, logs, coconuts can come over the top.

Do not swim in freshwater with cuts, scrapes, etc or dunk your head. Leptosirosis is a real concern. From the Hawai‘i Dept of Health:

…hawaii.gov/docd/dib/disease/leptospirosis/