We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

california
Level Contributor
113 posts
65 reviews
Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

Thank you in advance.

I noticed the vacation rentals and condos are cheaper in Princeville area compared to Poipu during Dec. Is this due to weather and amount of rain the North gets compared to Poipu?

This will be my 20th anniversary (taking two kids also... sob sob). So should I not take a chance with possible too much rain and just pay more for Poipu stay?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,528 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

Yeah, it is definitely rainier on the North shore of Kauai during this time.

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx

Another reason for the higher pricing will be that your visit is almost smack in the middle of the "Festive season"….where rates can nearly double for accommodation compared to the first 2 wks of Dec.

Be sure to check car rental rates as well, as you are quite late to the game and it is not uncommon to book this time period a year in advance.

We visit during the winter months…..and we always head to Sunny Poipu.

California
Level Contributor
41,164 posts
129 reviews
2. Re: Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

Yes that is true its rainier in the winter on the North Shore and also tbhe, but its also because there are more inexpensive complexes in Princeville. Besides Poipu condos, I don't see many people discount or raise rates on the North Shore from season to season.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,901 posts
1 review
3. Re: Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

Are you going during the holidays? That's the major problem. The other factor is the weather. In the winter months it's just a fact that the south shore is more popular than the north or east shores. Actually, it is THE place to stay if one wants the best guarantees. ( the west shore would be even better but there aren't many places to stay there). So , Poipu becomes the popular spot in the winter.

HOWEVER, just as in Princeville there are good deals to be found in Poipu too. What complexes have you been looking at ?

California
Level Contributor
41,164 posts
129 reviews
4. Re: Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

Yes Napaguy! They are going Dec 17-24. Super busy time.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
136 reviews
5. Re: Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

This Dec? I'm surprised you're finding anything available. I sure wouldn't wait much longer to secure lodging...the same goes for a rental car...get one booked NOW...then look for a better rate. On occasion, the island has run out of rental cars.

Re: the weather...don't count on normal for this year. El Nino is really messing with things. We just got back from two weeks (8/31 - 9/14)...I saw weather, I'd NEVER seen at this time of year......who knows what's going to happen for the rest of the year, especially this Winter.

Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

Hmm. We've been to Kauai at least a half-dozen times in the week before Christmas Day, and we've always found the island to be less populated by visitors than it's been other times, even late January and early February. Sometimes Hanalei has seemed like a ghost town in that week, and parking at Kee and Tunnels is a snap.

Folks would come streaming in on Christmas Day and the next day, and it would be crazy-busy through the first week of January.

Oh, and for what it's worth, we always stayed at least part of the time on the North Shore and loved it. (At least 8 times, we split our stay between north and south.) Steady rain was infrequent, and when it did come it was because of a Kona low that affected other parts of the island. It can feel like our own private paradise!

In fact, over the years we've had better weather north than south during the holiday season.

California
Level Contributor
41,164 posts
129 reviews
7. Re: Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

I would say the very busy days will begin around the 19th this year, because that is the weekend before Xmas. Kauai is a timeshare location and the timeshares book either Fridays or Saturdays and Xmas week is very popular. I have been there during that time and around the 22nd it really gets busy.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
320 posts
43 reviews
8. Re: Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

This past Christmas season was crazy busy. Couldn't get a table at our favorite place in Hanalei, for lunch yet! Princeville was loaded with tourists.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,901 posts
1 review
9. Re: Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

Cidbob, we don't know exactly when you were there but it doesn't get start to get busy until the weekend right before the 25th. And even then because families have to wait until get kids out of school the crowds don't really full capacity until right before the 25th, in cases when the 25th falls on the end of the work week. One of the best times to head to Hawaii is right before the holiday crowds begin coming over. It's the quiet lull before the storm.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,528 posts
47 reviews
10. Re: Planing Dec 17 ~ Dec 24 in Kauai. Condo questions

If you were to split the 2 "Festive" weeks into the one preceding the "25th"…and the one from the "26th" through New years….For sure the one after Christmas tends to ramp up a bit more.

Many folks prefer to spend the Christmas holiday on the Mainland with family and then head to the Islands for the immediate period afterwards…including NYE…if they only have the one week.

The OP's 17th-24th will fall into a good portion of the high season. It will just depend on how the chosen accommodation blocks it off. For sure the car rental will be at a premium.