We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

Peru, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

Hello all,

Can anyone compare the advantages, location etc of these two condo resorts? Which one is closest to a beach access? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

Lori Jakemom

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

I used to like the look of Poipu Shores very much back in the day of being visitors. It intrigued us, but we never did rent there. Kuhio Shores units with upgrades can be VERY nice. Those, I know. In either complex check that your suite has been upgraded.

Kuhio Shores is right next to Lawai Beach - not large, but excellent snorkeling, with lots of turtles around to watch as well. The Beach House is also right next door and Kuku'iula shops are just up the road. Several eating and shopping options there. No pool.

Poipu Shores is not nearly as close to the beach - but has what looks like a beautiful pool. The views from there should be quite stunning, too. It isn't that far down to Brennecke's and Poipu Beaches, but they aren't right there. It would be a hike, carrying beach "stuff". And uphill coming home.... For shopping and most eating out, you would probably be going to the same places from either location - and driving for the most part.

Honestly, I think either - with recent upgrades - should be very nice. I lean more towards recommending Kuhio Shores because we are very familiar with it. It may come down to the individual units you are considering, rather than which complex.

Edited: 03 September 2015, 03:12
California
Level Contributor
37,607 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

I like Kuhio Shores better for many of the reasons Mezzsop said. The only thing PS has over KS is a nice pool. KS is next to a great restaurant, walking distance to the shopping center, fabulous ocean and sunset views and like mentioned, many units have gone through a major remodel. About 3 years ago many were sold in the downturn of the economy and redone.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

Kuhio Shores is indeed a short walk to the snorkeling spot called Lawai Beach. However, it's like comparing apples and oranges when you compare that "beach" to Poipu Beach Park which is a 10 minute walk from Poipu Shores.

Lawai Beach is a small and narrow sliver or sand mixed with large boulders with the road right on your backside behind a narrow separation of lava boulders. There is one small sandy area that is the best spot to enter the water for snorkeling. This is not a spot for lazing on or walking the beach. It's an area for excellent snorkeling though. I would make a quick drive there for the snorkeling but I personally would never pick Kuhio Shores for this "beach". It's not what most people would think of when they think beaches in Hawaii. The one salvation is the Beach House restaurant will let folks park on their nice grassy lawn.

Poipu Beach, by Poipu Shores, offers it all - swimming , sandy bottom in most spots, boogie boarding, laps across the bay. There are showers, restrooms and it's lifeguarded. Plenty of parking and Brennecke's restaurant is right across the street for 2nd story open air dining. There's a convenience story on the first floor of this building with snacks , drinks and great made to order sandwiches. You can take your food back to the park and use the picnic tables there.

The other positive about the Poipu Shores location is it's a nice area for long walks and you have the Grand Hyatt in a 10-15 minute walk the opposite direction to enjoy restaurants and shows there. Kuhio Shores does have Kukuiula Village about a 15 minute walk down the road and it has a host of restaurants and shops but this area in general doesn't offer much variety in places to walk to. I prefer the general feel of Poipu Shores on the outside too. Kuhio Shores is a bland and ugly cinder block building with absolutely no appeal to me at least. My opinion folks.

Kuhio Shores has a following here on this forum and the views are fabulous but no moreso than at Poipu Shores. The views are a bit different as PS is elevated , sort of cliff side. The pool at PS is smaller but a very nice location perched right over the water. If you're going during whale season this area and elevation is one of the prime spots for whale-watching.

While I can't speak for the differences between units you're looking at within each complex, my vote is for Poipu Shores. Both of these complexes have units that are fabulous and others that are not so fabulous and in need of an update. Whichever one you choose it comes down to unit selection.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
368 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

Have stayed at both and recommend either to my friends depending on what they can afford. Poipu Shores is more expensive because it's a little nicer and has a pool. It's more private. BBQ is better. Both have incredible views but views from Poipu Shores are better because you see the coast with Poipu Beach in the distance. I don't think you can get closer to the ocean on Kauai than Poipu Shores. HawaiiGaga has a good virtual tour.

hawaiigaga.com/kauai/condos/poipu-shores.aspx

Kuhio Shores is less expensive and there are lots of nice units to choose from. At Poipu Shores there are some older looking units. Pick a specific unit that you like, do not rent from sites that don't let you choose the unit.

I like the location of Kuhio Shores more because you can walk to Kukuiula shopping village, and having snorkelling next door is nice. But the walk to the beach from Poipu Shores is easy. Take a look on google maps street view. I don't get why people say it's a difficult uphill walk? The drive to the beach is like 2 minutes and there is always lots of parking.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

Turttwig, great link. And those units at Poipu Shores that are listed at the bottom of that page are all managed by a great gal who lives at Poipu Shores. She's known to have some of the nicest units there in her inventory of units she manages. Here's her link

http://www.poipubeachcondo.com/

I have NO connection. Just passing this along in case the OP wants to see another option for renting there.

Edited: 03 September 2015, 06:02
Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

Hey, Napaguy!

You're right that Lawai Beach is not much more than a narrow slip of sand, but my wife and I really like sunning on the grass in front of Beach House to the side of Lawai. There's enough room for us and lots more folks, and the grass "experience" is fun and different. We only really lie on grass elsewhere at Kalapaki Bay and, on rare occasions, Salt Pond.

It's not Hanalei Bay or even Poipu Beach Park or anything like that, but it's still more than doable--and access to B+ snorkeling is right there.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

Cidbob, that's fine for folks who just want to sit on the grass. I enjoy lounging on that green terra firma too but when I want to get up and go for a swim or walk along the shoreline I want a good beach.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

I've often wondered how the two compare, having stayed at Kuhio Shores on several occasions in the last 10 years. It really does come down to what's most important to you though. For me personally, I love being able to hear the ocean waves throughout my unit, and being really close to the water. I've heard I could get that at Poipu Shores as well, but have always opted for KS because it's not quite as expensive, and I typically only need a 1-bedroom (Poipu Shores, if I'm not mistaken, is mostly 2-bedrooms). On my next visit in May 2016, I'm staying elsewhere, but I can definitely see myself going back to Kuhio Shores on a future visit. I've never been disappointed with any of my stays there.

9. Re: Poipu Shores vs Kuhio Shores condos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2016, 15:18