We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Southern itinerary please :)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
185 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Southern itinerary please :)

ok, so after three nights on the north, we will drive to the airport to take a Wings on Kauai air tour. From there we will stay at the Hyatt for three nights. We would like to stay a fair bit of time at the resort as it looks beautiful and we have small kids who will love the pool. However, we want to check out Poipu beach and park, baby beach, Tunnels, Shipwreck, Sprouting horn and Hideaways. Can you organise me? Is it too much? Have I missed something important? Should we spend just one day checking out all these places then chill? Or beach in morning, resort in afternoon? TIA lovely people :)

California
Level Contributor
37,645 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Southern itinerary please :)

Forget Hideaways with small kids and thats on the North Shore. The walk down is too difficult. Go to Anini Beach instead. Try going on a hike at the mini golf course or rent bikes there.

Shipwreck Beach is right at your hotel. Spouting Horn literally takes 10 minutes of your vacation time.

So for your North Shore stay, drive to Anini. Then drive for lunch into Hanalei and go out to the pier. Drive further north if you want and visit Tunnels but parking will be terrible so park at Haena State Beach. On the way back stop and take pictures at the taro fields, visit the cute green church in Hanalei and you will probably want to stop in Hanalei for dinner. If you are staying north, do all the north things while there and concentrate on the resort and little side trips while at The Hyatt. You won't want to leave....trust me....

Queensland...
Level Contributor
185 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Southern itinerary please :)

Thanks Jebett :)

Is there anything on the south we just can't miss? I am really keen just to stay put, but we are Kauai virgins so don't want to miss out...

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Southern itinerary please :)

Baby's Beach in Poipu (on Hoona Road) is awesome! My kids grew up on this beach and it's perfect for the smaller children. We have also spent a lot of time at the Hyatt salt water lagoon when they were little and then the main pool and slide when they were better swimmers. Poipu Beach Park is also a great place for kids. We liked visiting Spouting Horn (the kids liked it and loved all of the chickens there) and the gardens across the street at the National Tropical Botanical Gardens visitor center. Shipwreck's is a nice beach to look at and walk on but not to swim. There is a trail from Shipwreck's that heads east but it may be too steep and long for your kids.

AT the Hyatt, you can feed the Koi near the Tidepools bar and my kids loved the Parrot Talk show at Seaview Terrace. You'll need to check with the concierge on the times. Also, do not miss the torch lighting ceremony and Keiki Hula. Even my son loved this!

Edited: 26 August 2015, 11:03
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Southern itinerary please :)

3 nights on south shore at the Hyatt with little ones......

Well, you're right in thinking a good portion of the time at the Hyatt would be an easy and fun time with the kids. But yes, there are other things to do too. Some have talked about Baby Beach. But don't forget about the wonderful children's swimming area at Poipu Beach Park , complete with playground equipment and lifeguards. This is the eastern side of Poipu Beach where they've walled off with large lava rock boulders an enclosed area of the beach. The lava rock wall stops waves from crashing into it and creates a nice shallow swimming pond for the kids. Max depth is less than 3 feet with most of it being 2 feet or less.

Spouting Horn ( sorry, not sprouting) - It's really nothing much imo and not anything you have to make special plans for. The "spout" isn't that great of a deal and it's no more than a 10 minute stop unless you get hung up at the souvenir stands. Spouting Horn is an okay place when you've run out of things to do.

Do you plan on heading west to the canyon? If so, you could check out Salt Pond Beach on the way back. A beautiful crescent shaped sandy bottom beach, lifeguards, restrooms and never crowded. At the west end there is a natural lava rock ridge running parallel to the shore that makes a safe and calm swimming area for kids. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not, depending on the tide and conditions.

Kauai Coffee just outside of Kahaleo, on the way to the canyon, is a nice stop. Many great flavors of bagged coffees to take with you and free samples of brewed coffees. And when you're heading west to any of these places I've mentioned take the back road to Kalaheo and meet up with the main highway there. If not, you're missing out on one of the most beautiful drives on the island. This road is called Koloa Road and it joins Koloa and Kalaheo. It begins at the one and only gas station in town. Head west on it. You reach a higher altitude on this road and the valleys and mountains below and in front of you are spectacular. You can view the tallest mountains of Kauai from the south shore too, on this drive.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
185 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Southern itinerary please :)

Thanks so much, very helpful :)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Southern itinerary please :)

We love driving around Kalaheo. I also drive the road that goes right past the Kauai Coffee Company after picking my husband up at his customer's site. A really nice drive and we'll need to stop and visit the coffee company one of these days.

MA
Level Contributor
153 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Southern itinerary please :)

If you go to Spouting Horn my one piece of advice might be to wait until later in the day (we went around 5:30) when the bus tours were gone and there was ample parking.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Southern itinerary please :)

If it is important, the bathrooms at Kauai Coffee are excellent. We always stop there whether on the motorcycle or in the car headed out West.

9. Re: Help with Southern itinerary please :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2016, 15:16