We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay near beach for relaxing honeymoon?

Solvang, California
1 post
Best place to stay near beach for relaxing honeymoon?

Getting married in October and trying to choose a southern Kauai honeymoon destination! I am looking at the Costco travel packages and as I've never been to Kauai, I don't know which resort or condo to choose...help?! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

We are wanting to be within close (visible) distance to a swimmable beach and a pool with a bar to relax and yet still have a "catered to" feel. I'd also prefer to be able to relax on my own more private Lanai for coffee and sunsets.

A couple choices offered by Costco travel are: Marriott on Kalapaki Beach, Sheraton in Poipu region, Castle kiahuna plantation, and the Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation...any recommendations?

California
Level Contributor
41,630 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Best place to stay near beach for relaxing honeymoon?

Don't bother with the "deals". Do this ala carte.

For a honeymoon I would stay at Koa Kea. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor. Its a honeymooners delight. You will have that catered feel for sure. Kiahuna Plantation are condos, not a hotel and the pool is across a major road. The Sheraton is only ok if you get an oceanfront room. I was very disappointed in that resort. The only good thing about is the beach.

I would not discount The Grand Hyatt. Even though the water at the beach is rough, its a terrific hotel. Great pool, large salt water lagoon, good restaurants, fun nightly entertainment. Get the sunshine package for free breakfast. Plan on a few daily trips to the North Shore. Its spectacular.

Edited: 20 August 2015, 01:46
santa cruz
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Best place to stay near beach for relaxing honeymoon?

I agree that Koa Kea has that honeymoon feeling. I've never stayed there but I have walked by it many times and it is always quiet and relaxed. If you can swing an ocean front unit there the views are very close to the ocean. I would pick the side closet to Kiahuna away from the Marriott as that side seems more private and quiet.

If you are thinking Kiahuna I would book with an owner via VRBO so you know what you are getting. You could be in a very unhoneymoon like unit if you don't pick it yourself. Kiahuna is wonderful but you won't be pampered there.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Best place to stay near beach for relaxing honeymoon?

We recently stayed at the Koa Kea. It was the first of four hotels we stayed at on our island hopping trip. It was our favorite. The hotel is small which we prefer. The service was impeccable. The breakfast was excellent. I would highly recommend it for a honeymoon. Wherever you stay down south, it is worth splurging on dinner at Red Salt at the Koa Kea. Our dinner was fantastic.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
19,086 posts
1 review
4. Re: Best place to stay near beach for relaxing honeymoon?

I agree. Don't bother with those packaged tours. You don't need to do that to wrangle a good deal. Plus, you'll have control over room view and location. The prices with those package tours oftentimes come with the less favorable room locations.

For what you describe of your need it comes down to the Marriott on Kalapaki Beach (Lihue) or 3 places in Poipu - the Sheraton, Kiahuna Plantation , Koa Kea. These 3 front and share the same beautiful swimming beach. Even the furthest unit back from the water at Kiahuna is only a 5 minute walk up to the sand.

The Sheraton is a very nice resort but you need to snag an oceanfront room in one of the only 2 oceanfront buildings. The other rooms are older and across the small road from the main oceanfront buildings. When people stay in the older buildings is when they have a lesser opinion of the resort as a whole. The beach is great and the pool, while not large, is large enough and directly oceanfront. The resort has gone through an overhaul with lots of $$$ put into it. While it doesn't have the glitz and glam of a 5-star resort it's a nice place and more than serves the needs of most people who are there for the beach. Now, if you book this place via a package deal at a great price you might end up in one of the older rooms.

The Koa Kea Resort is what many consider a great small honeymoon spot. It's cozy, both outside and inside the rooms which tend to be on the small side. The resort is built as a basic U-shape with the courtyard in the middle with views straight out to the water. One of the best Poipu restaurants is on site, Red Salt. It tends to cater towards adults. This proves it's all in the presentation because the original resort here, when it was the old Poipu Beach Hotel, catered to families. Again, it's all about the presentation.

Kiahuna Plantation are indeed condos and the pool can be in a disadvantageous location, depending on which building you're in. However, just as with the Sheraton, people are there for the beach. The complex of small low-rise mostly buildings is spread out over beautiful and expansive walking grounds. There is a beachfront kiosk for getting your beach or lawn chairs, snorkel gear, drinks and snacks. Kiahuna is a wonderful place and I consider the "Grand Dame" of the south shore and very popular with repeat guests. You can also book directly with an owner on VRBO.com and be able to pick the exact unit you want.

It's a tough choice. You've got 3 great places to pick from. I personally would lean towards one of these 3 over the Marriott in Kalapaki for you which is very busy and very much a family resort.

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
889 posts
5. Re: Best place to stay near beach for relaxing honeymoon?

super suggestions.....Koa Kea .for the south shore....peaceful, on the beach, wonderful pool and tiki bar, and Red Salt , plus close proximity to poipu beach, brenneckes, the waiohai honu tiki bar ( marriot ), Kiahuna and one of our favs, Plantation Garden restaurant on property, and many other sites and activities if you feel like getting out.

but if not, it should be about the quietest , easy and classy accomodations on the south shore.

Edited: 22 August 2015, 12:58
6. Re: Best place to stay near beach for relaxing honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2016, 14:16