We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in early Dec.

denver
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Kauai in early Dec.

Planning on a few days in early Dec. What part of the island is best for weather and activities and accomodations.

Thank you,Perry

California
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in early Dec.

I'd stay South--better chance of good weather and calmer ocean.

California
Level Contributor
35,244 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in early Dec.

Weather could be bad there too. For a few days stay maybe stay at a central location like The Marriott in Lihue so you can venture North or South.

denver
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in early Dec.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Any suggestions for dining?

California
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in early Dec.

If you're just staying a few days, you want a hotel? I'd check out the Sheraton or Koa Kea-- both are on one of the best beaches on Kauai with lots of great dining options nearby. Some of my favorites are Plantation Garden, Roy's Red Salt (at Koa Kea), Josselin's, Merriman's, and the Beach House.

Check out the activities at Outfitters: www.outfitterskauai.com

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in early Dec.

The statistical odds will give you better odds on the south shore. It's really the best you have to go by. People will post they had crappy weather on the south shore and people will post that they had wonderful weather on the north shore. None of that may apply to when you're there so the statistics are the best bet.

Scroll all the way down for Kauai stats. on average temps and rainfall by section of the island..

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,080 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in early Dec.

There are activities on both the north and south shores, but in December I think I'd head south. If nothing else, the surf should be less wild there. You can do a day trip north if the weather cooperates.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai in early Dec.

I've gone to Kauai in early December several times for my birthday (Who wants a birthday party if you can go to Kauai?) I can tell you that the weather was rarely been the same trip to trip. In a week's time you could probably count on SOME rain. Often you will experience sudden cloud bursts when it showers for about 10 minutes. Then the sun comes back. Being used to that, I'm always amused when tourists go running off the beach as if their lives were at stake when the rain comes. It is always warm so being in the rain is not an uncomfortable experience at all. So those of us who are used to the experience just stay where we are, get a little wet and then let the sun dry us a few minutes later.

denver
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai in early Dec.

Wow, thanks to all for your input on this subject. I will check out the stats and look into the restaurant suggestions. You all have great insight and after living in Oregon for a time, the rain doesn't bother me much so I guess the only mistake I can make is not going at all.

Mahalo,

Perry

denver
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai in early Dec.

Hey LS, Just noticed you're from Huntington Beach. I'm an Edison HS grad

Upland, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai in early Dec.

I'll be there this December as well and I'm staying on the south shore because the weather is usually better there, especially during the winter months. However, anything can happen as it did to me back in December of 2004; it rained for 9 straight days on the entire island and it only got sunny my last two days on the island. To make matters worse I hit the frikn same storm when I got back to California and had to deal with another 5 days of pouring rain.