We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Kauai in early November and where to eat

california
2 posts
1 review
Weather in Kauai in early November and where to eat

We are thinking about planning a trip to Kauai in early November, but I just wanted to check on what the weather is like during this time. We will probably stay in Poipu. Does it rain a lot during this time? And what is the typical temperature. Also, we are thinking of staying and the Grand Hyatt, and I've read that the restaurants are particularly expensive, but not so great, so I wondered if there were other places to eat in walking distance or if not how far is the drive. Thanks

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Weather in Kauai in early November and where to eat

Welcome to the forum's. Staying in the south in Nov. is probably a good idea, especially if you are at the Hyatt. I can't imagine you heard the restaurants were not so great. Tidepool's is one of the favorites in Poipu, and well loved by TA posters. Dondero's is also good.

However, just down the road a mile, are more to choose from. Keoki's Paradise is a favorite by many, it's casual too, and less expensive. If you do a search on here for restaurants, you will get the whole gambit of prices and opinions.

If you book the Hyatt, be sure to get the Sunshine on Sale Breakfast package which includes a free night and the breakfast buffet every morning in your room rate.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,858 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Weather in Kauai in early November and where to eat

"Not so great!" I cannot believe anyone would say that. We really love the Tide Pools and Dondero's at the Hyatt. Excellent places to dine. We also love Steveson's Library.

But you have to try Plantation Gardens just down the road. Our absolutely favorite place on the island and excellent food! We also love Keoki's. Its very casual and fun. Service has not been great at Keoki's lately but the food is excellent. We go there with a lot of time and patience, getting into that casual Kauai atmosphere. As long as my glass if wine is full, I'm good! :)

Early November is still usually very nice! We love that time of year, a bit cooler and less crowded. Most of the rains show up in December thru February.

Make sure you check out the Torchlighting Ceremony before having a wonderful dinner at both Dondero's or Tide Pools. We use Plantation Gardens for those really special occasions, excellent place.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Weather in Kauai in early November and where to eat

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I live here in the Po'ipu Beach area (11 years) and can tell you that November is pretty much a mixed bag as far as weather in my experience. Since it is wintertime, there is an increased chance of rain anywhere on the island, but in general the South Shore is known as the "sunny side" of the island and traditionally a drier area during our winters.

Temps here don't vary much throughout the year - right now the highs are in the high 80's and our lows in the 70's - during the winter usually it gets to the low 80's during the day and sometimes dips down into the 60's at night during our coldest time.

So really not much difference comparatively to the mainland.

I work as narrator for the torchlighting ceremony at the Grand Hyatt, so granted I may be biased, but I think that Tidepools and Dondero's are both really great restaurants - I don't eat out a whole lot here, but I've enjoyed each one and hear great things about them constantly.

There is only one restaurant that I would consider within "walking distance" of the Hyatt - Po'ipu Beach Broiler - about 1/2 mile from the Hyatt on Po'ipu Road. Mixed reviews. If you walk through Po'ipu Kai resort however a little farther, you can actually walk down to the Brennecke's Beach area - there you can go to either Casa di Amici restaurant or Brennecke's Beach Broiler - so those are possibly walkable as well.

Po'ipu Shopping Village is about 2 miles from the Hyatt - walkable during the day but definitely not advisable at night due to lack of sidewalks and lighting - also a very busy roadway. This shopping center has Roy's and Keoki's Paradise - both very popular restaurants here.

I agree that Plantation Gardens is one of the very best restaurants in the area - no ocean view, but set in a lovely garden setting with tiki torches, orchids and fountains. It is set between the Sheraton Kaua'i and Kiahuna Plantation - accessed usually via Ho'onani Road past the Sheraton. About 2 miles also from the Hyatt.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
176 posts
80 reviews
4. Re: Weather in Kauai in early November and where to eat

I would also agree that Dondero's and Tidepools are great places to eat. I would also agree that Keoki's Paradise and Roy's are excellent.

Keoki's Paradise is probably the least expensive, but they are all great food, nice service and pleasant atmosphere.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
19,090 posts
1 review
5. Re: Weather in Kauai in early November and where to eat

I've always found November to be a great month, weatherwise, at least on the south shore. It's before you get to the rainier winter and cooler winter months, especially earlier november. Crowds are mostly down and the humidity is largely absent. A few degrees cooler than summer but much more comfortable IMO.

6. Re: Weather in Kauai in early November and where to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Poipu