We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in March

Bethesda, Maryland
9 posts
Mosquitoes in March

Staying in a Kiahuna Plantation unit the last week of March. I understand that the exterior windows are wood shutters. Wondering what we should expect as far as mosquitoes in the evening and overnight in that area at that time of year? Thanks in advance for any guidance or experience folks can provide.

4 replies to this topic
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
18,309 posts
137 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitoes in March

If there is one mosquito on the entire island, it will find me and totally ignore my hubby. Are you also a mosquito magnet? Then bring bug spray, they’re around.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,776 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitoes in March

Just stay off lawns and out of wooded areas at dawn and dusk. At the beach shouldnʻt be a major problem.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
776 posts
1 review
3. Re: Mosquitoes in March

As I usually say when these questions come up, if you often get bit at home, you can expect to get bit on Kauai. I am the ULTIMATE magnate and have gotten bit on Kauai just about everywhere, resorts, parking lots, waiting for my luggage at the airport, you name it. However, my wife never seems to get a nibble, even on hikes. One of the worst beatings I have ever taken on the island was at the restaurant at Kiahuna. My legs looked like I had chicken pox.

The thing that works the best is a fan blowing on you. The mosquitoes on Kauai seem to be much smaller than here in NY, and it does not seem to take much of a breeze to keep them off you. That is why the beaches are usually pretty safe, the constant breeze. Also in my experience the buggies on the island don't seem to have the same "itchiness factor" as the ones here at home. They seem to itch almost immediately, for a short time, and then kind of fade away.

Kilauea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
716 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: Mosquitoes in March

"Just stay off lawns and out of wooded areas at dawn and dusk. At the beach shouldnʻt be a major problem."

The best advice!

Reply to: Mosquitoes in March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted