We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must to do things for a 7 day trip

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Must to do things for a 7 day trip

We are a family of 4. Kids are 10 and 6. We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt from Nov 30th to Dec 7th. While I am searching this wonderful forum, please suggest must to do activities, Kauai specific (Snorkeling/hiking/beach/zip lining spot suggestions are always helpful). We were in Maui 5 years back, that was a 10 day vacation in early November, loved it. This time around, hoping that kids will remember/enjoy the trip even more.

Hoping for some good weather!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Must to do things for a 7 day trip

Salt Pond was the calmest beach we visited, by far. The snorkeling is just OK, but the swim area is well protected and the beach was mellow and pleasant. You would need to drive from your hotel, but it's not too far.

Lawai was great for snorkeling, but could be rough at times. I am a good swimmer, was a bit tentative the first day until I acclimated to the ocean. I did see quite a few people snorkeling in life jackets or pool noodles, so might be worth it to try if the wind is calm. The trick is to be sure to enter and exit through the sandy strip and not the rocks - use the shave ice stand as a landmark.

We didn't go on any of the bigger tours, but if anything I would have done the ATV tour in Koloa. The "mud bugs" seem like they would be fun for a couple or a family. I liked the Allerton + McBryde garden tour but I am pretty sure if I tried to drag my kids along on something like that it would have been wasted on them at that age.

Mentioned in this post
Lawai Beach Resort
Lawai Beach Resort
489 Reviews
Kauai, HI
McBryde Garden
McBryde Garden
343 Reviews
Kauai, HI
St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Must to do things for a 7 day trip

For a worry free snorkel spot, drive over to Lydgate Park. You can snorkel in shallow water protected by a rock wall. The water isn't as clear as many spots, but if you follow the wall around, you'll see plenty of fish. There a large playground next to the beach the kids should enjoy. Our grandkids loved it.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Must to do things for a 7 day trip

Thank you all for suggestions, all points noted. Need to check more on ATV Outfitters in Koloa as well.

Mentioned in this post
Outfitters Kauai
Outfitters Kauai
1,570 Reviews
Kauai, HI
14. Re: Must to do things for a 7 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 December 2016, 08:35
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
249 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Must to do things for a 7 day trip

Fun meal with kids would be Puka Dog - Hawaiian hot dogs with condiments with mango, pineapple, etc.

Watching turtles - the rocky cove in front of Nihi Kai and near Breenecke's Beach often has turtles.

Walk over to the Southern-most point of the island - the "lighthouse" a black and white diamond sign with a blinking white light at Makahuena Point - maybe a 5-10 minute walk.

Mentioned in this post
Puka Dog
Puka Dog
3,034 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Nihi Kai Villas
Nihi Kai Villas
148 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
12,634 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Must to do things for a 7 day trip

What about the Mahaulepu hike? You'd start at Shipwreck and hike to Gillens Beach. There's a cool cave along the way and gorgeous views. Shouldn't be too hard for kids.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Must to do things for a 7 day trip

I know hikes might be tricky today/tomorrow but is Waimea Canyon still doable? We are okay to skip longer hikes, if required.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,928 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Must to do things for a 7 day trip

We had such a great experience yesterday. My kids really enjoyed doing the canyon trail, it started pouring when we just finished and enjoyed PBJs in the parking lot.

Today we are torn between doing the Lihue farmers market and Hanalei farmers market. If it's Hanalei, then it would turn into trip to North shore and doing rest of the activities as well.

Any particular zip line suggestions with the best scenery? And not too scary for a 10 yr old.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Spring, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Must to do things for a 7 day trip

We were there last week with our kids ages 10 and 6. Their favorite activity was to snorkel at Baby Beach on Hoona Rd. The waves at Baby Beach are broken up by the rocks, and it is perfect for kids to snorkel and play. If you stay near the right side of the beach (towards the rocks) it's no more than waist deep on my 10-year-old (depending on the tide it could be shallower). We went almost every day. We also saw a monk seal on the beach and a sea turtle there.

Their second favorite thing was to go to Polihale to slide down and play on the huge sand dunes. (Take a right at the fork at the monkeypod tree then the first left to go up the hill near the campsites. We had a Jeep.) We went a few hours before sunset. They played, we watched the sunset, then stargazed. We did NOT let them get in the water there. Take extra clothes for them to change into for the ride back to the hotel. They literally had sand coming out of their ears! They were a mess, but they had a blast!

Mentioned in this post
Baby Beach
Baby Beach
180 Reviews
Kauai, HI
20. Re: Must to do things for a 7 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2017, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Poipu
;