We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii in April 2012

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
28 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii in April 2012

We are traveling to Hawaii next year. We're staying on the Big Island for one week and Kauai for one week. We are all 60+ and fairly active. We would like to plan at least one activity for each day and still have some relaxation time. What should we do?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,864 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii in April 2012

Welcome to the forum! SO - what type of activities do you enjoy? Snorkeling, surfing, hiking, kayaking, golf, strolling around eating shave ice . . . so much you can see and do on Kauai. Tell us more about what you hope to see and do while you are in Hawaii . . . also what you plan to do on the BI, so we don't offer the same types of activities. If it is your first time to the islands, I would recommend a luau. Happy planning! :)

California
Level Contributor
10,171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii in April 2012

Where are you staying on Kauai? I'd definitely take a Na Pali Coast tour--not for the snorkeling but for the beautiful views. Check out www.napalicatamaran.com On the Big Island, our favorite excursion was the AM Snorkel and BBQ Cruise with Fair Wind--great snorkeling and lots of fun.www.fair-wind.com Do you have a guidebook? We like The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook--lots of good info. and easy-to-read maps.

Happy planning!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,566 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii in April 2012

Kaua`i is THE island for a helicopter tour. There are several companies, but I like Jack Harter, the company that started it all. There's also a fixed-wing tour, Wings Over Kaua`i, if you'd prefer.

Lots of hiking up in Waimea Canyon, and you'll want to do at least the first 2 miles of the Kalalau (the Hanakapi`ai Trail), maybe hike another 2 miles up to the falls.

You can kayak the Wailua and Hanalei rivers, and Huleia Stream.

Maybe you'll want to try surfing? Or stand-up paddling? This is a good place to learn.

California
Level Contributor
10,171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii in April 2012

I'll try again www.fair-wind.com

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,190 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii in April 2012

I would re-post the question on the Kauai Forum ... and on the Big Island Forum.

California
Level Contributor
41,018 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii in April 2012

I would buy a guidebook tomorrow. I would check out the area on the right of your post titled top questions.

I would do a helicopter ride for sure. If helicopters aren't your thing, check out Wings Over Kauai.

I would go to Smith's luau. I would plan a day trip to North Shore and another to the canyon.

Planning is half the fun!

7. Re: Hawaii in April 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Lihue