We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Lihue

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
171 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Lihue

We have a condo this September in Lihue for 5 nights-my brother and his wife and me and my husband. We would like to see a good portion of the island and enjoy the beaches. Does it make sense to take a 1 day tour to get the overview of the island and then go back to particular spots of interest? Does anyone have a suggestion for a 4 day itinerary for driving and sightseeing? Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,479 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Lihue

It is a small island - very easy to see. Most of us would tell you to concentrate in one area at a tiime - like head south & west - see Waimea canyon, Spouting horn, etc. Head north - going to end of road, see the waterfalls, lighthouse, etc. All depends on your interests of course, so it would be good for you to read others trip reports to see how they spend their time. Also get a good guidebook - I like the Kauai Revealed - great maps! :)

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,923 Reviews
Kauai, HI
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
399 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Lihue

If you can swing it, I'd recommend a helicopter tour early in your stay to get a feel for the whole island. Then as coalminer suggested take a trip south and west one day and north another day and then figure out where you want to spend time the rest of your trip. My guess is that in September, you'll want to spend a good part of your time on the North Shore.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Lihue

Don't forget to go inland from the east coast. That's where the lovely waterfalls are found. I like driving around some of the country roads to get a feel for rural Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Beverly MA
Level Contributor
171 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Lihue

Thanks, for the ideas. I will get the book you suggested!

Beverly MA
Level Contributor
171 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Lihue

Thanks for more great ideas.

6. Re: Day trips from Lihue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Lihue
;