We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai on a dime

Level Contributor
21 posts
Kauai on a dime

My husband and I are coming for a one night trip in mid-May. (we get to fly free, since he works for an airline, but we are poor and don't want to leave our infant and toddler for long, hence the one night trip). What are the most scenic things to do in Kauai using public transportation, and is there a safe place to camp? Any input would be great, thanks!

California
Level Contributor
41,433 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Kauai on a dime

You have another thread with this question. You can ask more questions on that same thread vs starting a new one.

There is not much to see by bus. The bus only goes on the main highway. I guess the most scenic would be driving to the North Shore. It goes as far as Hanalei Town.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Kauai on a dime

Sorry you were greeted poorly at first. Some here are a bit narrow in their approach to travel.

That said, public transport is abysmal especially for access to camping areas. You won't end up with any time here net of getting around. Spring for the $40 bucks for a car on priceline or try the very iffy Island Cars if you can't rent anywhere else.

There are several older threads on camping including one in the FAQs that discuss the pros/cons of the various County Parks/campgrounds.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,812 posts
3. Re: Kauai on a dime

Aloha,

Have you decided on # of days yet?

What are your primary interests for this trip? Beaches, hiking, history, waterfalls, canyon....

The bus schedule and route are online. (Kauai.gov) Remember that both are subject to change without notice. A mechanical issue could cause a long (or futile) wait at a bus stop.

Are you opposed to the car idea?

Happy planning. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Aloha

Edited: 15 April 2011, 12:34
4. Re: Kauai on a dime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 18:17