We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How cold at Waimea Canyon?

Delmar, Maryland
Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How cold at Waimea Canyon?

How cold can it get at Waimea Canyon in March?

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,923 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Georgia
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How cold at Waimea Canyon?

The first time we took our son and daughter in law there, it was cold, windy, and cloudy (60ish?). I have pictures of them in sweatshirts and shivering. That was in March or Feb. The other times we've been there (same time of year) it was really pretty nice.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How cold at Waimea Canyon?

I have a picture of my brother-in-law and his wife at the Kalalau Lookout. It was June and they were freezing (they live in Lake Tahoe). So I would recommend bringing a light jacket or sweater anytime of year!

Mentioned in this post
Kalalau Lookout
Kalalau Lookout
490 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Georgia
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How cold at Waimea Canyon?

We live in St. Louis. Feb. is often pretty miserable this time of the year, but that one particular trip to Waimea canyon was pretty cold. In fact, it was pretty cold when we took them to the Kilueau (sp) lookout, too. We had coats on then, too.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,923 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How cold at Waimea Canyon?

I was there in May... it was perfect! Never even thought about bringing a jacket. Maybe I'll throw one in next time.

Edited: 15 February 2011, 07:16
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How cold at Waimea Canyon?

If the fog rolls in (and it did when we visited in August), it can get pretty cold up at Kokee. So we always bring a light jacket, just in case.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How cold at Waimea Canyon?

Good advice from the other posters....

Toss a jacket in the trunk of the car, and if you need it , it is there.

Just a suggestion, look up at the mountain ridge and check out the ceilings....if the lower hills are socked in, and you add some dark clouds to that, you are not to have a view when you drive up there.

We just wait for a sunny clear morning, and then jump in the car and go.

Actually, of late, I have been wearing a light work out jacket to work in the morning, as it has been a little chilly. Wear it outside when handling my perimeter and pool duties.

Once the sun comes up, it warms up about 9 am., where you will not need a jacket down near the coast, but with the altitude up in Koke'e that jacket suggestion is a good one.

Denny

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,252 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How cold at Waimea Canyon?

One September day at Waimea Canyon lookout was clear, no wind and warm. We got up to Kalalau Lookout, cloudy, windy and cold. We forgot the sweatshirts, so we wrapped up in beach towels.

You just never know!

3Chihuahuas

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,923 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kalalau Lookout
Kalalau Lookout
490 Reviews
Kauai, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How cold at Waimea Canyon?

figure 15 degrees colder than sea level.

Typical sunny day in March = 80-82 so say 65 F. A cloudy cool day is 77F so more like 60 F at the top. Now add in fog/clouds and 30 MPH winds on a windy day and a light coat feels pretty nice if you're just standing around.

A hat is #1 as you lose a lot of heat from your head.

Georgia
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How cold at Waimea Canyon?

We actually drove up there today and it was in the 60s at the end of the road. It actually felt pretty good after the 80s and 90% humidity at ocean level. My husband says the day I mentioned in a previous post it had gotten down to about 39 according to the car thermometer. So, yes, it can get quite chilly up there.

10. Re: How cold at Waimea Canyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2012, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Lihue