We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May slow season?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
May slow season?

Is May really the slow season? If so why? And can you get good lodging deals then?

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May slow season?

Delta has some interesting air/hotel packages in May starting at $1100/person for a week stay. Might take a look.

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May slow season?

Yes May tends to be slower which is why we always take our Hawaiian vacation the first two weeks of that month. I assume the reason is that if falls after most spring breaks and before summer vacations. We typcially find prices to be cheaper then peak periods and very uncrowded.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May slow season?

We also love to travel in early May - the weather is beautiful, kids are still in school, and yes, you can usually find good airfare and hotel deals.

Are you signed up for AirFareWatchdog? They'll email you great airfare deals based on your profile (i.e, I get DEN-HNL and DEN-LIH fares).

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: May slow season?

Yes, as others have said, it is slower. It's a lull right in between the busy Spring/Easter break crowds and summer. Then it picks up again when the younger kids are getting out of school.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May slow season?

May has been my favorite time. Best weather, good deals and low crowds. However, DH likes to go when the weather is bad in the NE so March it is. Would not hestitate to go in May.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May slow season?

pajamajane, so happy to see you are still trying to get to Kauai. I have been trying to book flights for an Oct. trip, and for the last week flights were over $200 more than the week before. I am hoping to check tomorrow(Tues) to see if they have gone down any. I do not want to make any mistakes by paying too much, but I also feel like I am at the roulette wheel! I will jump at two $800 flights, after hoping for $730 flights.

Spokane
Level Contributor
869 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May slow season?

We have not been yet - our FIRST trip is this May. We are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary - and we going to go in June. But when I started looking and condos and airfare - it was very clear to me that going a few weeks early would save us hundreds of dollars.

I can not say if it was a good or bad idea yet - will know in a few months! But the savings and chance of things being a little less crowded just made sense to me.

Time will tell - and I promise to come back and post how everything went.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May slow season?

May is much nicer than March on average (always have the caveats as weather can do what it will on any given day).

I've never noticed big crowds until just before Memorial day. Then it takes off.

2h Sept/Oct are also slower periods with very nice weather.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May slow season?

May is great...but shhhh...don't tell anyone :)

WA
Level Contributor
294 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May slow season?

I agree May is an incredible time to visit that's the only time we'll go. Hardly anyone on the beaches (rarely a problem at other times), no lines at restaurants, cheaper hotel/flights...what more could you ask for. Although, it doesn't matter too much what time of year you're there, it's all good!

Get answers to your questions about Lihue