We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hurricane damage to beaches/ condos/ resorts?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
hurricane damage to beaches/ condos/ resorts?

Hello! We will be visiting the Big Island over Thanksgiving - our first time on the island after visiting Maui several times. Currently we have a reservation at the Fairmont Orchid, but we might want to do a condo in the Waikoloa area instead because it might give us more space, plus more dining and shopping options nearby (any advice on Fairmont area vs Waikoloa will be appreciated :). We like walking on sandy beaches and want access to the ocean and beach -- it looks like A-Bay Beach is the main beach for Waikoloa. I wanted to know if the hurricane did any damage to it? I know it's a narrow beach anyway. Our lodging situation is not locked in, so if the hurricane did any damage anywhere, we'd like to know that before committing. Does anyone know how things fared? Thanks so much for any advice and info!

7 replies to this topic
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: hurricane damage to beaches/ condos/ resorts?

I'm not aware of any damage to Waikoloa Beach Resort or any of the west side of the island. There was some rain for a couple of days, but very little wind.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: hurricane damage to beaches/ condos/ resorts?

The Waikoloa Beach Resort area will remind you a little more of Maui, which IMO is one reason to stick with the Fairmont Orchid, or better yet, a condo within the Mauna Lani Resort property (of which the Orchid is a part).

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,799 posts
3. Re: hurricane damage to beaches/ condos/ resorts?

The BI shots the media were running so often were mostly from the Hilo area.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
312 reviews
4. Re: hurricane damage to beaches/ condos/ resorts?

Waikoloa Bay has a "bigger" beach but otherwise the Orchid would be much better including for access to better snorkeling a shuttle ride or walk away.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: hurricane damage to beaches/ condos/ resorts?

We just got back from a week in the BI, half on each side. We saw some minor debris on the east side but zero sign that there had been any storms passing through the dry side at all. We did not stay in Waikoloa but we did visit to walk around and shop and we also went to Anaehoomlua Bay to watch the sunset. There were plenty of people milling about and everything seemed fine.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: hurricane damage to beaches/ condos/ resorts?

Not to be negative about it, but hurricane season isn’t over at this point. Hurricane Iniki hit Kaua’i in September, for example.

Anaehoomalu took a hard hit from the 2011 tsunami, but mostly came back.

There was beach erosion forecast from Lane as it approached, but the storm fell apart before it got close enough to send the high surf to the west side.

I don’t find Anaehoomalu to be that great a beach for walking, the sand is so coarse.

I really enjoy walking Hapuna and Kauna’oa.

I would just be prepared to wander by car to the close by areas of South Kohala, as one resort may have restaurants but not the snorkeling, may feel much busier (which you may like or want to avoid), another better for your walks, etc.. it’s not a big deal to drive, the traffic is so light compared to Maui.

Daly City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: hurricane damage to beaches/ condos/ resorts?

We are presently at the Mauna Lani resort. It is in excellent condition. No evidence of tropical storm damage . All businesses are open.

Reply to: hurricane damage to beaches/ condos/ resorts?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted