We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Many Nights in Volcano - Need Itinerary Help!

Boston, Ma
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How Many Nights in Volcano - Need Itinerary Help!

This will be my second trip to the volccano at the end of this month.

My flight from Maui will get me to Hilo at 10:30 am. I'm planning a 1-hr helicopter tour straight from the airport when we arrive. After that, we have 6 nights on the BI.

I planned on 2 nights in volcano and 4 at hapuna prince. Should I do just one night in voolcano since I am getting there so early in the day??

I am travelling with my husband plus my parents (age 68 and 73) and a 3-yr old so we will not be hiking too much, but we do want to see VNP, lava tube, and a short evening hike to see lava (maybe longer if the grandparents stay back with the 3-yr old). I was wondering if 2 nights are to many...should we plan on 1 or 2 nights in volcano?? any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How Many Nights in Volcano - Need Itinerary Help!

We just went to VNP in March and wish we had spent more time. There are many guided tours you can do. We took one hike that was like 2 hours long, but probably not suited for a young child. There wass very steep terrain. the Thurston Lava Tubes don't have to take long, unless you do the unlighted tube and then you definitely need flash lights and that may be scary for a young child. Don't expect to see lava. When we went the volcano had been spewing and had lots of activity about 7 days before we got there, but then nothing anywhere the days we visited. They said it was at a complete halt in all locations. We didn't even get to see a glow from the Crater at Jagger in the evening. Chain of Craters road was closed,because of a forest fire. check the conditions before you arrive, they change daily. We wish we would have been able to drive Chain of Craters road, because it looked like a neat trip. visiting VNP was one of our highlights of our trip tot he Big Island. Hope you enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Chain of Craters Road
Chain of Craters Road
256 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
12. Re: How Many Nights in Volcano - Need Itinerary Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2012, 14:16