We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self guided bicycle ride to lava

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
Self guided bicycle ride to lava

We will be in Hawaii at the end of February and will be in volcano village for three nights. I read the lava is not flowing into the ocean at this time but we are interested in renting bicycles (e-bikes) and hiking to the lava flow from Kapalana, preferably at sunset. We are debating whether a guided tour is necessary or if we can bike and hike and see the lava on our own. The tour is three times the cost of a rental for self guided tour. Are there many people there at that time of day? We are in good shape and adventurous, but do want to be safe. Any advice?

2 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,163 posts
1. Re: Self guided bicycle ride to lava

Please read through the Lava Viewing topic. I think it’s foolish to attempt it on your own, and even the stories of people who did it basically said they just tagged along behind a tour group or they wouldn’t have known where to go, which is sketchy and tacky IMO. I’d hire a reputable guide. My preference is Kīlauea Ecoguides.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
2. Re: Self guided bicycle ride to lava

Thank you Shea.

Reply to: Self guided bicycle ride to lava
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted