We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

miami
1 post
Save Topic
1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

We are planning our Hawaii trip with our 2 children (5 & 8) to Hawaii for 14 nights. My husband and I went to Maui and Kauai for 2 weeks on our honeymoon 12 years ago. We will first visit Maui for 5-6 nights and then off to BI. We definitely want to stay in Volcano for a night or 2 and need recommendations on what to do in that area. Our kids are well travelled and adventurous and love nature, swimming, snorkeling, boating and hiking). We recently spent 12 days Utah, hiking most days. They can handle 1-2 hikes/day for about 1-3 miles of easy to some moderate terrain). Also, need suggestions on the drive from Volcano to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel where we will be staying for the remainder of the trip. I read that the drive Upcountry?? is beautiful. What road do we take for that? Or should we stop at Mauna Kea visitor center? Is it worth the stop if we aren't doing the summit? Open to all suggestions as we are in the initial stages of planning and can adjust the number of nights we spend in each area. Thanks in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

Arg. I wrote a long reply to this and don't see it now. Must of hit a service glitch.

Well, anyway...VNP takes a full day. I'd stay two nights. On the way over to the west side you should take the Hamakua coast, stopping at Akaka Falls, Waipio overlook, Waimea. I would not stop at the VIS. If you decide to do that, pick a good weather day and do it from the MK hotel.

Do check out the Top Questions on the right hand side of the main forum. Lots of help there on things to do, snorkeling, beaches, etc.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,191 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

Weird. I saw your reply earlier, Shea, and I replied as well ~ just asking the OP out of curiousity why they're not doing a condo with such a long stay and kids in tow.

~ Colleen

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

Ok, that’s super confusing. I thought maybe the OP had a different topic somewhere else but this is his only post.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,191 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

Just realized the issue: she has two accounts going, and asked the question in another forum, where we answered earlier.

Sunnyjack, please ask TA to combine your accounts, as multiple accounts aren't allowed & only lead to confusion. Thanks!

~ Colleen

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

Yup, I just saw it too.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217…

Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

Sunnyjack, in addition to requesting your accounts be merged, in the future I would avoid posting almost duplicate threads (just with different titles) on a forum and on the subforum within that forum. Many read on the island or state level and aren't always tracking what subform it may be under. Your two topics are essentially competing if reading on the Island of Hawaii level.

This all was rather a setup for duplicating responses. I have experienced real computer glitches where my whole post never saw the light of day. It would be even worse to have that moment of frustration after thinking I'd lost a post, then to re-compose the post, only to see that the original post actually made it... We know you weren't intentionally trying to vex forum regulars, so don't worry, we all have those occasional awkward moments.

The Hamakua coast drive is beautiful tropical paradise. We had some lovely weather for it. When are you traveling?

miami
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

Oh no, I just read your responses and apologize for the confusion. I had originally posted from my desktop computer, however later in the day when i checked (from my phone app) I couldn’t see my original post. I then reposted from my phone. I will look into this further and have TripAdvisor combine my accounts and delete the duplicate. Thank you for the suggestions! I appreciate your help and i’m looking forward to our next adventure :)

Edited: 20 January 2018, 23:56
miami
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

We are going in mid June

Ashland, Oregon
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children

Your chances of having good weather in June for the things you like to do are good, and you still have lots of time to research. There is a trip report compilation in the top questions to the right (on the full site), and it may be fun for you to read through some of these reports from most recent back through the hours of links for ideas and BI context. The top question about favorites has great tips also. Have fun planning!

Reply to: 1 or 2 nights in volcano help with children
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted