We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
356 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

Hi,

Due to a lost connection in Frankfurt (tech problems with first flight from Oslo) to Denver we are arriving in Jackson Hole one day later than expected (need to stay over in Frankfurt, Germany).

So I called Avis (in Oslo) to postpone the rental by one day. They obviously had problems changing the dates and ran into some problems. After speaking to both the office in Oslo and the national reservation agency (the local office didn´t pick up) we got the same message that the local Avis office (at the airport) was shut down until June!!!

Can anybody shed any light on this? Basically I don´t have a reservation now, and I really wonder how this could happen without me being informed about this.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
17 replies to this topic
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

The Avis location moved to off-site. I called Avis this morning and spoke to a live person at the national level. I did not attempt to book, however.

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
356 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

Ok. Thanks for the info.

Not really sure what «off site» would mean for my booking though. They don’t pick up the phone (not even when Oslo(Norway) office tries to call them). Oslo office told me to start making backup-plans and see if there was a car for me from Avis when I arrive. So now I’ve booked with another company and might end up with 2 cars. Actually, two bookings are better than zero, since being in GTNP and YNP without a car is a no go. Based on info given from Oslo-office I mentioned above I will expect a full refund from Avis though. They didn’t say I will get a refund but when they ask me to make backup plans, in my eyes this mean book with another company.

I’m just really curious about what has happened here. If they just moved the office they should still be answering their phone (at least from their own company). Going awol even for their colleagues doesn’t really boost late arriving customers confidence that their booking is valid.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 13:57
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

"ns and see if there was a car for me from Avis when I arrive. So now I’ve booked with another company and might end up with 2 cars. Actually, two bookings are better than zero, since being in GTNP and YNP without a car is a no go. Based on info given from Oslo-office I mentioned above I will expect a full refund from Avis though. "

This makes no sense to me.

Maybe it's different from Oslo, but when you make a reservation you are only reserving a car. If you make two reservations, there are two cars being held for you. You aren't really renting one until you pick it up.

Unless you are prepaying. If you prepay two cars, then you are prepaying two cars. But there's no need to prepay for a rental car and that's very different from reserving a car.

Even when I "rent" a car overseas, I'm simply "reserving" the car. I don't pay for anything until I pick it up.

Re vendors answering local numbers - they only answer the phone when they are in the "office" = rental counter at the airport or in this case off-site (not at the airport). They are usually so busy with customers at the counter they don't pick up the phone until/unless there's a lull and no customers. You make reservations with the national reservation number. I've never reserved a car with the local rental counter.

Personally, I'd make a new reservation with a new vendor with an airport rental counter and just forget this Avis reservation. After you have a new reservation, be kind and courteous and call the national Avis number to cancel or cancel online using the reservation number.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 21:27
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

Jackson Avis rental is CLOSED until June 11, 2018. No rentals in or out!

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

Source?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

AVIS at the national level. And the website says closed when trying to book between now and June 11.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 23:16
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

Thanks for citing a source.

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
356 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

You’re right about prepay vs reserve. I just tend to always prepay. Not really sure why. I assume i get more discount that way.

I booked a new car with Alamo. This time just reserving.

I called Avis in Oslo today and asked for full refund and cancellation. They are saying the same that there is no office there. And they are surprised I was able to book in the first place. Those on the phone couldn’t guarantee full refund, but said I will have a pretty good case with a non-excisting pick up office.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 07:00
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

I've never pre-paid for a rental car.

I book them weekly. If prices drop, you can rebook at a lower rate.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 07:06
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport

I know booking as a foreign driver can be different. It gets discussed on the Road Trips forum, they often use booking companies, prepay and insurances are included, etc. The person I chatted with at Avis did ask for a reservation number when I asked what happened if there was an existing reservation. I said I was checking for a friend when there was no answer at the location. She said to have them call the 800 number to correct the reservation. I was on-line chatting from the website, so that may be an option to get it cleared up. There should be a full refund if the location is closed during your visit, as they changed the terms of the contract, not you. But, I am not a lawyer!

Reply to: Problems with Avis rental booking at Jackson Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted